New User - best wipe

tb582

I'm sure its been asked before, but is there a desicription of the wiping methods and which one is "the best" one?

I have 2 74GB 10,000RPM Raptors in RAID 0 (has os and programs)
and 1 120GB 7200RPM segate hdd (has files etc)

I did an 8 round PRNG wipe which was both relatively quick and seemed to be of a sufficient level of certainty that what was there before won't be anymore! I suppose fewer rounds would probably still have been sufficient but that seemed to be the midway point between what some posters here suggested (the 35 pass method, 12 rounds PRNG) and what was suggested as a quick and effective wipe. Like dajhorn says, in all honesty the default option is probably more than sufficient (and probably a lot quicker).

Alright lets say that I want to erase all 3 of my drives, but there are some files (resume, pictures etc) that I want to keep that scattered about on each of the 3 drives. If I gather the files and copy them to an external hdd. What copies over?, obvisouly the files but any little segments of data such as I download a pic or video off of google onto my C: drive. Then I play it from my c: drive and then copy it to my external hdd, now that it is on my external hdd is there anything that links that file back to my c: drive or the site I downloaded it from, ie timestamps/datestamps? maybe by opening the file in notepad or something?

No, if you just copy files to external storage.

If you do something fancy, like making an archive that includes ACLs with WinRAR, then GUIDs that are relative to your old system will be in the archive.

Note that things like Microsoft Word documents often include turds that can link the document back to the original computer.

dajhorn said:
Note that things like Microsoft Word documents often include turds that can link the document back to the original computer.

How do you get rid of this stuff? is there some sort of software program that will do it, or that you can run on these certian types of files?

Ok I think I have most of the info I need, in a couple weeks I'm going to do the wipe... I'm going on vacation for a week, is there a way to specify dban to wipe for a ceritan period of time?

Also I'm running dual Intel Xeon Nocona processors - Is that going to be a problem? Will dban play nice?

Back