Newbie needs advice on files to be erased daily

lastevns

All,

I am new to the Eraser application. I am setting up a schedule to erase certain files daily. So far, I have included:

C:\Users\Laurie\AppData\Local\History
C:\Users\Laurie\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
C:\Users\Laurie\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\Low
C:\Users\Laurie\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\te865qma.default\Cache
C:\Users\Laurie\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\te865qma.default\OfflineCache

These files apply to cache from FireFox and MSIE. But I am concerned there may be additional files that should be included in my daily eraser. I believe the Microsoft Media Player keeps a record of anything played. Is there a cache for it? Does anyone know of other programs that standardly track what a user does with them?

I would appreciate any suggestions others might have as to files that can (or should) be added to the daily eraser log, safely. I understand that this is largely a personal decision but what I am seeking is to erase tracks of what I do on my computer on a regular basis.

Thanks!

Laurie

lastevns said:
But I am concerned there may be additional files that should be included in my daily eraser.

Off the top of my head I do the following (in XP):
  • c:\documents and settings\<user>\.thumbnails
    c:\documents and settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet files (remove subdir / leave parent)
    c:\documents and settings\<user>\cookies
    c:\documents and settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth\DbCache.dat*
    c:\documents and settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\RSS Bandit\cache
    c:\documents and settings\<user>\Local Settings\History
    c:\documents and settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp
    All index.dat files (set to wipe on reboot).
    The Firefox dir you grabbed.

lastevns said:
I believe the Microsoft Media Player keeps a record of anything played. Is there a cache for it?

That will be done via the registry which eraser can not deal with, take a look at ccleaner for that

Back