No Logs ?

rarebear

I have just started using the new stable Eraser build and when I view the task log on individual files erased there is nothing there. Also where is the more detailed window that shows how much information has been written over / left and time to completion ?

rarebear said:
I have just started using the new stable Eraser build and when I view the task log on individual files erased there is nothing there.
That's normal. The 6.1 builds show start and finish times, which is more reassuring, so this is presumably what will happen in 6.2 when it appears.

rarebear said:
Also where is the more detailed window that shows how much information has been written over / left and time to completion ?
Not implemented in Eraser 6, at least so far. Eraser 6 had a deliberate simplification of the user interface, but, IMO, there should be a confirmation dialogue for every task and the option to see a progress window (similar to Eraser 5).

David

Double-click the task as it runs.

Joel said:
Double-click the task as it runs.
But will that still not show a blank pane if the task completes normally, with nothing to report?

David

I don't really buy the idea of the traditional view that anything that completes, successfully or otherwise, should be displayed to the user, hence I placed the success message to be displayed only in the tray icon, and only if Eraser's main window is minimised (if it isn't, the status of the task is obvious) If the task completes normally, what is there to report?

Joel said:
If the task completes normally, what is there to report?
That it is completed normally; the user (particularly the new user) is thereby reassured, and we don't get threads on the forum like this one. Actually, the start and finish times recorded in the 6.1 builds do the same thing, assuming (which I can't check just now) that they are in the log for both erasing and wiping.

David

They do -- but isn't erasing equivalent to wiping :?

Joel said:
They do -- but isn't erasing equivalent to wiping :?
Depends on how you use the words. I like to use 'erasing' for targeted tasks (files and folders) and 'wiping' for free space. In theory at least, you could do a wipe without erasing anything ... :D

David

Back