Norton GoBack and External Hard Drive

DTJB

Got a question that I hope you guys can help me out with. I tried Eraser a few days ago and it looks like it works just fine. I decided to try using my copy of Norton Goback to recover some older files that I deleted in the past and could erase permanetly. Found some stuff on the internal, but for some reason, Goback won't recognize the external drive that I use. Tried going on the Norton website and they don't provide much help. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is it possible to recover those already deleted files and destroy them again? If not, is there another method to handle this?

I'm afraid that if your files have been erased by Eraser there is no known way of getting the information back, sorry.

... :?

Read my post again. I mentioned external hard drives and Norton in conjunction with Eraser.

is it possible to recover those already deleted files and destroy them again? If not, is there another method to handle this?

Why recover them and destroy them again? Recovering a file won't necessarily recover it in the same place it was originally. All you'll do is make another copy and destroy and still have the deleted file on the hard drive.

If what you want to achieve is to make sure that files you have deleted unsecurely are now securely deleted just use the Wipe Free Space function to overwrite the deleted files.

AFAIK, GoBack doesn't monitor external drives. Then again, the last time I used GoBack was... many years ago when it still belonged to Roxio. So I don't understand your question...

Joel said:
AFAIK, GoBack doesn't monitor external drives.
Hmm, kind of figured. Thanks for the help though.

PB07 said:
If what you want to achieve is to make sure that files you have deleted unsecurely are now securely deleted just use the Wipe Free Space function to overwrite the deleted files.
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I didn't look throughly enough but I couldn't find the Wipe Free Space function. Is this similar to the process of erasing unused disk space?

It's the same thing... different terminology.

Back