Not valid win32 Filetime.parameter name: fileTime

harryh

when i try and erase unused space it stops with errors right away

Session: Wednesday, 20 October 2010 12:33:15 AM
Wednesday, 20 October 2010 12:33:16 AM Error F:\System Volume Information did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access to the path 'F:\System Volume Information' is denied.
Wednesday, 20 October 2010 12:33:19 AM Error Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
Parameter name: fileTime

WUT DO I DO?

Are these errors from the log? It looks like it.

The System Volume Information 'error' is not really an error at all; Windows simply does not allow access to that folder.

The 'file time' error is your real problem, and it's a new one on me. The error is clearly generated in the runtime, as I have discovered it occurs in other applications as well. My guess is that you have a folder or file with a corrupt or invalid time stamp. I don't know whether the disk checking utility corrects errors of this kind, but it might be worth running it to see if that makes a difference.

One way of checking whether I am on the right track would be to try running a free space erase without erasing cluster tips. But, just in case you have file system issues, do the disk check first.

David

Yes its from the log
Chkdsk comes up with no errors
Running task without cluster tips has no errors.

It was working fine couple of days ago, but I stopped it as I had to transfer about 200gb to the drive with FTP. Since doing that now it has that error...

Glad it was fixed (and that my only vaguely informed guess was correct). Thanks too for the hint about Attribute Changer; I looked it up,and it looks like a useful and well-designed tool.

I'm not surprised that you had problems with copying a large batch of files; the standard Windows tools (or anything that uses them) can generate some nasty file corruption in such circumstances, a fact which deserves to be better known. Windows 7 now includes the command line utility robocopy, which gets round these problems. Personally, I prefer to use SyncToy, which has a graphical interface, and works well over a network, so is useful with an NAS or, as in my case, a reserve machine.

David

Hmm, maybe I should go change some files' times and then try to get this error. WHat time was reported for such files? I can't seem to think of what can cause this error as NTFS filetimes should stretch back to AD 1601.

Looking it up on the web, it is clear that a whole range of apps (presumably ones that use the .NET framework in some way) have had this problem on occasion, and that it has surprised Microsoft people as well. I suspect that the date/time data pretty much has to be corrupt for the error to be triggered, and that will be quite tricky to simulate. What would be good would be if someone could post an offending file, so that you could have a look at it.

If the solution is as easy as changing the file attributes, I'm not sure that this is an error that Eraser needs to handle gracefully. It's obviously not that common, and maybe the user needs to be warned that he/she has a file corruption issue.

David

Back