Partition Corrupted

lowcarb

I had a fatal error the other day that I'm just recovering from.

The D: partition on my DISK0, (80 GB) had zero free space.
Examining the drive I found several folders with names like ~ERASF.TMP or similar. I deleted these and that volume seemed fine.

I later noticed that I could not access my G: partirion on DISK1 (120 GB).
I could not access the disk at all, windows (XP) thought it was unformatted.

Testing the partition with Partition Magic reported crc errors. :twisted:

Booting to safe command prompt and several passes of chkdsk /f made it possible to access the drive again in XP. Again there is a ~ERAFSWD.TMP folder with many files in it that have random alpha-numeric 8.3 file names.

Any ideas on what went bad here and should I be afraid of continuing to run eraser?

Lowcarb

Lowcarb,

I would suggest that the drive is damaged and that running eraser merely highlighted the problem as it tried to fill the drive.

Reformat the drive and see if it reports a clean format. If not a new drive is in order :(

Garrett

Yes, drive is failing

I would suggest that the drive is damaged and that running eraser merely highlighted the problem as it tried to fill the drive.

Correct you are Garrett. The drive (wd 180g) failed their datalife tests with too many read errors. It is being replaced under warranty and I'm using Eraser to wipe it before sending it back.

I'm sorry for questioning your code.
Having eraser highlight the problem with the drive allowed me to rescue much of the data while the drive was still working a bit.

Back