Possible to erase 2 drives at once?

er2u

This would be a great feature or perhaps its possible but I missed it?
Also an ETA would be great too. It immediately goes to 2 bars then kind of stops.
Also the Help PDF doesn't look very similar to my layout in XP SP3 32bit. Not sure why. Haven't tried it in Win7.
It would be great for the Help file to tell the user, right off the bat, what the difference is between
Erase
Erase on Restart
Erase Unused Space

With Windows seemingly keeping stuff all over the place after we "delete it" by tossing it into the Recycle Bin, you'd think an explanation would be in order. If I pick Erase Unused Space, is that as good as Erase if I've already deleted everything by using the Recycle Bin (and emptying it). I didn't notice anything about that in Help
but I might have missed it.

This is a fantastic program otherwise.

Oh....I wonder what hardware helps it to faster? CPU speed or cache, Ram size or speed, Hard drive specs? Do SSD's erase a lot faster than traditional Sata drives?

Eraser 6 currently runs tasks sequentially, which is the best approach if they all relate to the one physical drive. Joel does, I believe, intend to enable parallel running of tasks on different drives in a future release of Eraser, but that is likely to be some way off.

Another planned improvement is to have plugins to cover common erasing tasks, such as clearing Internet clutter. Of course, CCleaner (which has an erasing option) already does this; the two programs are complementary, and I use them both.

Deleting to the Recycle Bin and then erasing the contents of that is, I believe, as good as direct erasing. Deleting, emptying the Recycle Bin and then erasing free space is more likely to leave residues of data in space not marked as free. As I say very frequently, it is wise to store sensitive data on a physically separate non-system drive, and to disable System Restore on that drive. These assessments apply only to conventional hard drives; SSDs work differently, and erasing (other than of free space) is defeated by their wear levelling mechanisms.

Erasing speed, particularly in a free space erase, is typically limited by hard drive performance, which, in my experience, is quite variable. The best hardware for Eraser would be a SATA 3 disk interface, and a hard drive able to take advantage of it.

David

Back