Preferences Not Saved

JLSchutt

I'm a new eraser user as I'm preparing an old computer for donation after purchasing a new one. I'm starting by erasing some photo files, which are not particularly sensitive or confidential. However, I can't seem to change the overwriting method from the Gutmann 35-pass method to any other method. I've clicked on another method (e.g. 7-pass DoD) and then clicked OK, but as soon as the erasing process starts, it's doing 35 passes. Any idea why my preferences aren't being saved? I'm running Windows XP Home SP2.

--Jim--

Did you select the 7 passes for files or for free space? The settings are separate for the free space and file erasures.

Joel

JLSchutt said:
I'm a new eraser user as I'm preparing an old computer for donation after purchasing a new one.

Not related to your issue but if you are donating your computer you would be much better off securely wiping the whole drive with dban and then re-installing XP. While you might be able to delete your personal files using eraser you will no doubt be leaving x no. of years of cruft lying about on the hard drive and in the registry etc. If you want to ensure the person(s) getting the computer have the best user experience treat them to a fresh install. If you don't have an install CD for XP home find someone who does (back up your serial before you wipe it) or failing that consider some form of Linux or BSD (Ubuntu being the flavour of the day for eas of use)

Joel said:
Did you select the 7 passes for files or for free space? The settings are separate for the free space and file erasures.

Joel

Joel, here are the steps I've been following. I'm using the Windows Explorer interface.

1. Select one (or sometimes several) folders that I want to erase.

2. Right click the selected folders and click Erase. A Confirm Erasing dialog box appears.

3. Click the Options... button in the dialog box. The first option (Gutmann with 35 passes) is selected. Click the second option (US DoD with 7 passes) and then click OK.

4. Click Yes to the question, "Are you sure you want to erase these nnn files and n folders?"

At this point erasing begins immediately with 35 passes per file.

When I realized that my selection was not being used, I clicked the Options... button in step 3 a second time before starting the erase, and the method had been set back to the first option (Gutmann with 35 passes).

I uninstalled Eraser and reinstalled it, this time being sure that I selected the "for all users" option and not the "just current user" option.

One additional comment in case it's relevant. I started the Eraser program while an erase session was running, and an Eraser dialog box popped up that said, "Failed to restore preferences." I'm running version 5.86.1.

Any idea why my selection isn't accepted?

--Jim--

jackjack said:
...if you are donating your computer you would be much better off securely wiping the whole drive with dban and then re-installing XP.

Thanks for that suggestion, jackjack. It'll be much easier than running Eraser on thousands of files. I'll be donating the old PC to a local chain of computer stores, who will in turn give it to someone or some organization. I can probably just run DBAN and then turn the PC over to the store, who will reinstall Windows. I'll give them all the CDs which originally came with the computer. I just want to insure that I'm not turning over any of my own sensitive data.

--Jim--

I had the same problem: Choosing an other method of erasing files/folders then Gutmann had no result. Always returning to default Gutmann. Workaround: Run the program as administrator and changes in your preferences are saved.

@Dev team: any way you can save preferences in an other way so non admins can change this setting?

BTW I use portable version 5.8.8

Most likely those are problems with the permissions of the folder you are storing your Eraser install on. You'll have to allow the user running Eraser directory write permissions.

Since 5.x is no longer maintained, I don't think anyone will be making changes to it.

Back