Problems running some programs after using v5.82

Robbie

after using the On Demand feature in Eraser I am encountering some strange problems with some programs on my computer. The only 2 programs I have attempted to try to run / view after doing a wipe are MS Money and the McAfee Security Center Personal Firewall part which shows a summary of inbound events etc.

MS Money error: "Money is not properly installed. Please try setup again" It won't let me open, repair or restore anything.

McAffee Personal Firewall Plus: a long message which basically says an error has occurred in MpfConsole.exe and that a fault report has been created in ProgramFiles/McAfee

I haven't found any other programs that replicate this problem. The problem is solved by restarting my computer, then both programs work fine until I run the on-demand part of Eraser again. And then a restart clears the problem once more.

I am running the same tasks as with v5.7, though as i couldn't import the .ers file (it wouldn't let me) I had to manually recreate all the tasks once more.

I'm switching back to 5.7 to double check this strange problem.

I've uninstalled 5.82 and reinstalled 5.7 and the problem has vanished - both programs are now running perfectly fine after running the On-Demand feature of eraser.

Could it be something unique to my computer? MS Money is the 2004 edition, but McAfee Security Centre is the latest edition.

I'll just have to stick to v5.7 of Eraser.

Can you be more specific on what occured?

By 'On-demand' you mean you asked it to do a freespace erase? or what have you entered in the on-demand section?

I have seen this before and the cause was a freespace erase where apps were running and as space filled up they could no longer save their config files. Reboot sometimes fixes it. The best policy is to shutdown as much as possible before any freespace type erase.

Why there is a difference between 5.7/5.82 might be due to the chunk sizes writen to the disk being larger to speed things up on bigger drives.

Garrett

Thanks for your reply

I'll reinstall v5.82 later on and replicate the problem, but for the meantime by "on-demand" I mean where you just delete specific files and folders, not freespace. I have eraser configured to delete such things as firefox cache, firefox cookies, temp files, Office recent files, (user) recent files, etc and have ticked the option to keep them on the list. In effect it is really some of the things that CCleaner would do but as I was using eraser long before CCleaner I still use Eraser to wipe these files.

The freespace wipe with v5.82 is working fine and I always reboot the computer after a freespace wipe anyway. When I use the On-Demand feature I often carry on using the computer without a reboot, I simply run it if I have used my internet bank, credit card etc to securely wipe the cache. It could be that another file or folder I have wiped is causing the problem eg I have the Local settings Temp and TIF folders in there too.

I'll try and replicate the problem (I have the .ers file saved for when I reinstall v5.82 from the time I installed it before, as above) and keep removing one item at a time from the On-Demand feature to see if the problem disappears. It might be a day or two before I get the chance though, due to work.

Robbie said:
The freespace wipe with v5.82 is working fine and I always reboot the computer after a freespace wipe anyway..
In a freespace wipe I shut down all programs, kill all non-essential process. But I leave the ones for my firewall and AV (I can kill those if I unplug from the cable modem), leave taskmgr.exe for last. After the freespace wipe I have to reboot to get all the processes to reload again.

Carver said:
Robbie said:
The freespace wipe with v5.82 is working fine and I always reboot the computer after a freespace wipe anyway..
In a freespace wipe I shut down all programs, kill all non-essential process. But I leave the ones for my firewall and AV (I can kill those if I unplug from the cable modem), leave taskmgr.exe for last. After the freespace wipe I have to reboot to get all the processes to reload again.
yeah, I do the same. Close all programs and non-essential processes. It makes the freespace wipe better (esp. for wiping cluster tips). I then always reboot the computer immediately after a freespace wipe.

I have replicated the error and located the problem - and it is mine not eraser. Or at least eraser is behaving slightly differently in how it wipes one specific folder - the Temp folder

For 3 years I have had eraser set to delete a number of files and folders, some of which it can't really do as the folders or files are locked - specifically the TIF and Temp folders in the username/local settings folder. I have just continued to keep these on the on-demand task list and it is the attempt to delete the temp folder that is casuing the problem - as v5.82 IS deleting that folder whereas v5.7 wasn't. It is apparent that the 2 programs I mentioned above (Money and McAfee Firewall Plus) need the Temp folder in which to run. From memory and testing I now recall that so does Works Calendar - without the Temp folder that will not run either. Simply by going to the local settings folder and creating a new Temp folder I can get all 3 programs running smoothly again.

I have found the solution is either to:

1. remove the Temp Folder from the list of files and folders to delete (quite why I had it there under v5.7 anyway I don't know as it always came up as locked)

2. Restart the computer immediately after running the on-demand wipe.

3. Create a new temp folder in the local settings folder.

The option that shows for the TIFs and Cookies folders that i also had in my on-demand list (the files are locked, the option to wipe after a restart) doesn't work for the Temp folder as under v5.82 it is wiped, under v5.7 it wasn't...

after further investigation... there is a file which is being created in the Temp folder that v5.7 cannot delete, therefore it is preventing the Temp folder itself from being deleted. With v5.82 I haven't had this problem once, and each time the Temp folder has been deleted.

The file is 0kb in size, and begins sqlite_(followed by a random set of numbers / letters). I don't know why it clears on 5.82 but not 5.7 but there you go. At least I know what the problem is and it isn't related to eraser, so I'll reinstall v5.82!

EDIT: sometimes a sql file isn't created but v5.7 still doesn't delete the Temp folder itself, whereas v5.82 does. Anyway, regardless, I've now upgraded to v5.82 and removed the option to delete the Temp folder itself, so problem solved!

Back