QUIK methode 0 pass

parachute

Hello,

While I do a QUIK methode with Dban, I see on my screen:

" 0 pass (blanking)" or something like that.

Actually, I have never noticed that the QUIK methode has standard 0 pass. Or, when the QUIK proces has finished, the result is a 1 pass?

If it is a 0 pass, is that a save methode?

parachute said:
Hello,

Actually, I have never noticed that the QUIK methode has standard 0 pass. Or, when the QUIK proces has finished, the result is a 1 pass?

The quick method just writes zeros (0000) to the hard drive. I don't consider that to be a secure wipe method. To do one secure wipe I suggest you do a pseudorandom pass with verification. It performs a random wipe, a zero (blanking) wipe and then verifies the wipe.

Robbie said:
parachute said:
Hello,

The quick method just writes zeros (0000) to the hard drive. I don't consider that to be a secure wipe method. To do one secure wipe I suggest you do a pseudorandom pass with verification. It performs a random wipe, a zero (blanking) wipe and then verifies the wipe.

Thank you Robbie.

Please can you give me an answer on the following questions. I do some cleaning jobs for my family and friends, but I don't want to take it much of my time.
:oops: :oops:

1. So I can assume that a Quick methode has 0 pass as default. It is not possible to change that in more passes.

2. If I want better (and quick) I must do what you suggest?

3. So, how can I do that with Dban? I only have experience with the Quick methode.

parachute said:
Robbie said:
parachute said:
Hello,

Thank you Robbie.

Please can you give me an answer on the following questions. I do some cleaning jobs for my family and friends, but I don't want to take it much of my time.
:oops: :oops:

1. So I can assume that a Quick methode has 0 pass as default. It is not possible to change that in more passes.

2. If I want better (and quick) I must do what you suggest?

3. So, how can I do that with Dban? I only have experience with the Quick methode.
The answers are:

1. The quick method can only do 1 pass - you can't do more than that unless you re-run DBAN

2. What I suggested would be the better solution

3. You just need to use the options that you see when you load DBAN. When DBAN loads, choose the Psuedorandom Mersenne Twister pass with verification.

Robbie said:
The answers are:
1. The quick method can only do 1 pass - you can't do more than that unless you re-run DBAN

Robbie, thank you for your answer and your time..

There is only one thing I don't understand. Forgive me that I nag.

During the Dban QUICK methode I see on my screen " 0 pass (blanking)"

What does that mean? Is he doing a QUICK wipe without using a pass, or when the QUICK wipe task has finished there is one pass processed?. I mean, is it a status message?

the 0 pass is literally a pass with 0 (zero). The 0 pass is a blanking pass - literally 0 is written to every sector on the hard drive, effectively blanking the disk.

Robbie said:
the 0 pass is literally a pass with 0 (zero). The 0 pass is a blanking pass - literally 0 is written to every sector on the hard drive, effectively blanking the disk.

I understand what you say Robbie but I read on a another form:

"use the QUICK methode with 1 pass"
I am really confused.

I think that everybody is talk different but the mean the same.

Are we talk about a 0 pass or a 1 pass with the QUICK method?

Is this what ypu mean?

"With the Dban QUICK methode I do 1 round with 1 pass. He is write every sector with 0, so he is blanking the disk. "

Is this correct?

It is very important for me that I do understand what I am doing. I'll be very grateful if you can give me your last answer about this topic. :oops: :D

The Quick Method is one pass of zeros (0). It's a bit confusing, the 0 pass refers to the zeros (0) that are written to the hard drive, but the method is one pass. In fact only one pass can be used with the Quick Method - unlike other methods it isn't customisable (eg with the pseudorandom (PRNG) method you can choose the amount of passes etc).

The quick method is also used in the other methods as the final pass - after eg the pseudorandom method has been run, the program will then use a blanking, quick method, pass before the program completes.

So if you choose to run a 1 pass PRNG method the program will run a 1 PRNG pass and then will run a blanking pass to zero the drive before finishing - adding a layer of security.

Robbie said:
So if you choose to run a 1 pass PRNG method the program will run a 1 PRNG pass and then will run a blanking pass to zero the drive before finishing - adding a layer of security.

Also taking twice as long as it should do and removing the plausible deniability for Truecrypt users !

Ah sorry, its an old DBAN gripe of mine ! :lol:

Back