RAID Promise FastTrack S150 SX4

simsalabim

Hey,

I have some trouble wiping Harddrives in a Server with a RAID-Controller "Promise FastTrack S150 SX4".

I created a boot floppy (also tried it with CD) with B-n-N, but I can't use B-n-N on the Server.

I can boot, till I receive this:

Code:
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel. Please wait

After this, the machine is rebooting and starts B-n-N again ... and again ... and again ...

Well, in the B-n-N Help-Menu I've read this:
Code:
Using DBAN on hardware RAID devices is unsupported.

(By the way: I do not have any other S-ATA Controller. Not on this Computer, or on another one around here. Which means, I can't plug the HD's somewhere else ...)

Well great, can anybody tell me, how to delete Data on a Machine with this Hardware-RAID ?
(If it is not possible with DBAN, is there any other tool, that I could run from a XP-E CD for example ?)

Thanks !

Hello again,

OK, here's one more stupid question:

Therefore I don't have access from a DBAN-Floppy or CD to my Harddrives, I've created a XP-E CD which has the RAID-Drivers and the Software "Eraser 5.7" included. This way I can boot from CD and erase the Folders on all Drives with Eraser 5.7.

Now to the stupid question I already mentioned: ;)

What is the differenz between booting from Floppy running DBAN and what I did (running Eraser 5.7 from Boot-CD) ?
Well OK, the partition tables can't be deleted this way, but the Files should be "securely gone", OR ?

Thanks for your time !

(P.S.: And how many Passes are usually recommended ? Are 7 enough, or is that too easy to recover ?)
OK, that was the second stupid question, sorry ! :roll:

I have some trouble wiping Harddrives in a Server with a RAID-Controller "Promise FastTrack S150 SX4".
The latest DBAN beta has a variety of new RAID drivers.

DBAN may run on this hardware if you disable all RAID volumes and export each disk in JBOD mode.

New Promise chipsets are usually poorly supported because the vendor provides poor drivers.

After this, the machine is rebooting and starts B-n-N again ... and again ... and again ...
DBAN is crashing on this computer. Start it with "verbose" at the boot prompt and report where it restarts.

I've created a XP-E CD which has the RAID-Drivers and the Software "Eraser 5.7" included.
Where did you get XP-E?

What is the differenz between booting from Floppy running DBAN and what I did (running Eraser 5.7 from Boot-CD) ?
It sounds like you got the same affect.

And how many Passes are usually recommended ?
The defaults are safe.

Hello dajhorn,

thanks for your reply !

The latest DBAN beta has a variety of new RAID drivers
I've used Version DBAN 1.0.6 !
Where could I download this Beta-Version ?
Do you think it could work with that Beta ?

Where did you get XP-E?
From www.reatogo.de
This software is based on the ingenious work of the "Boot-Guru" :D Bart Lagerweij www.nu2.nu

The defaults are safe.
Hmmm, the defaults for "Cleaning" Disk Space is 1 Pass and for deleting Files is 36.
How come, that it is save to delete already deleted Files with only one Pass and the still existing Files with 36 passes ?

Is there a way to tell Eraser 5.7 to delete complete drives ?
I thought about cleaning Free Disc-Space and then deleting all existing Files on all Partitions. Is this the proper way to do that. Or is there a better way to achieve what I'm trying to do ?

Where could I download this Beta-Version?
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61951&package_id=72235

How come, that it is save to delete already deleted Files with only one Pass and the still existing Files with 36 passes?
Qualify that as the defaults in DBAN are safe.

Is there a way to tell Eraser 5.7 to delete complete drives ?
Ask this in the Heidi Eraser forum.

Or is there a better way to achieve what I'm trying to do ?
Create an empty filesystem that spans the entire disk and then run a freespace wipe on it.

Hey,

I will give the Beta-Version a try next monday, when I'm back in the office ! Thanks for the link.

Create an empty filesystem that spans the entire disk and then run a freespace wipe on it.
OK, if the Beta will not work, I will do it that way !

Thanks for your time !
Have a nice weekend ... :D

Hey,

I've tried the Beta right now, but it didn't work.
I can boot till " ... wait 30 Seconds ... " and then the server shuts down. :(

So, I will give "Plan B" a chance and do as you told me to. 8)

Okay, thanks for the report.

If you wish to proceed with DBAN troublshooting, then start it with "verbose" at the boot prompt and report the last three lines before it hangs.

Hey,

I created a new volume (complete array), formatted and then wiped the freespace with Eraser, hopefully this was secure enough ... :D

Troubleshooting DBAN:

I booted with option "verbose" and received this messages (last 3 lines):

Code:
3w-xxx: No cards found
nsp32: loading ...
local DIMM ECC Enabled

Therefore I have to give the Server away (... that's why I have to wipe it ...) I can't do a lot more troubleshooting, sorry.
I think they will pick up the Server this afternoon ( German Time ) [GMT+1] ... ;)
So if you want me to check on this or that, you have to tell me very fast ! :D

Back