Remove index.dat w/ WinClean!!

Curt

I have been using WinClean to remove my Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, and Temp folders on my XP computer. It is a simple batch file. You click it and then reboot and it removes the old ones and Windows creates new ones. You will see the command window pop up for a second or two. Remember to use Disk Cleanup first!! Then delete all your Cookies, History, and Temp folder's files. If you do not do this it will take forever for WinClean to do it's job!! (And an hour to start Windows.)
WinClean:
http://www.imilly.com/winclean.htm
iMilly.com:
http://www.imilly.com/index.htm

Have you tried WinClean yet???

Wow, has anyone tried this powerful, free tool? I use it all the time on Windows XP!! It removes the index.dat file in the Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History folder AND the index.dat files of the logged on user profile. I look in C:\Documents and Settings\Curt\Cookies and notice the index.dat file is 48KB and after using WinClean it is 16KB!! It also does the same in C:\Documents and Settings\Curt\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, History and Temp. You must delete all the files with the Windows Disk Cleanup utility first to speed up WinClean after you log back on. You must click on WinClean and restart your computer and then log back on and you will see the command window (WinClean is a script command.) Then I would log off and back on again since it sometimes make duplicate folders in C:\Windows but after that you have all new index.dat files!! Has anyone even bother trying???

You know, if you want to stop worrying about those pesky index.dat files, just stop using Internet Explorer. There are better browsers out there, which don't store unwanted information in locked files. Try Mozilla Firebird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/), for example.

Anonymous said:
You know, if you want to stop worrying about those pesky index.dat files, just stop using Internet Explorer. There are better browsers out there, which don't store unwanted information in locked files. Try Mozilla Firebird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/), for example.

Unless you've been living in a shack on a deserted island somewhere most people are quite aware of the other browser alternatives like Mozilla. Unfortunately though, and as our "Guest" friend here would testify to, Mozilla doesn't like the PHP script which runs these Heidi forums, in fact if you have a registered account which you log on to in order to post, then you cannot do it if you are using Mozilla. So the downside to that is you'll be forever seen as just another "Guest" on these forums, totally faceless and devoid of character. :wink:

Ditch IE!

Hey,I spent a whole career being faceless and devoid of character-saved an awful lot of unwanted attention at work! My real point is why not use Opera instead of IE(or anything really!)-no problem in this forum,and a vastly better browser,but then normally,so is Mozilla!

Whatever floats your boat. If you prefer to just be a "Guest" (because you use Mozilla), and not reap the benefits of being a registered user on these forums (being able to Edit your postings to correct mistakes springs to mind), then sure go for it. Personally I have nothing against people using whichever browser they want, but the drawback with using these alternative browsers is pretty straightforward: they won't work on every site.

As for the hotly discussed topic of erasing internet tracks, well good housekeeping for your PC is all it amounts to really as most people should realise, you can erase your internet tracks on your PC but regardless of anything you do at your end, all internet activity is still being logged at your ISP's end anyhow. Kinda makes it all sort of pointless really. :wink:

I don't know why everyone, but sometimes the WinClean script file does not work right and I have to remove it and replace it with another. OK? It would be nice if a person came up with a program that could remove all the Temporary Interent Files, Cookies, History and Temp files from ALL the User Accounts in Windows XP WITHOUT having to log into that person's account (like if you did not have their password.) Cool 'eh?

Al said:
most people are quite aware of the other browser alternatives
Yes, you'd think they are. And yet they keep using Internet Explorer despite the security woes and usability problems. Go figure.

Mozilla doesn't like the PHP script which runs these Heidi forums
It's more like the PHP scripts running this forum are broken. Or it might be the server, it's hard to tell when you mostly get "PHP access violation" when logged in. :!:

I don't have problems with Mozilla on other forums though. Not even the ones running phpBB.

Anonymous said:
Al said:
most people are quite aware of the other browser alternatives
Yes, you'd think they are. And yet they keep using Internet Explorer despite the security woes and usability problems. Go figure.

I dunno, I've used IE for the past couple of years, both unpatched and patched (from Windows Update) on quite a few websites (too numerous to mention), and haven't experienced any "security woes". Active X could be a nuisance, but I usually decline any invitations to install software from unknown or untrusted websites. Other than that, nothing really dramatic has happened with it, and I'm sure others who keep using IE have no real reason to switch to anything else for the same reasons. Go figure :wink:

Back