Secure erase

s1abba09

I have found your great software last month but I am little bit confused.

When I erase my recylce bin using Eraser. It will do secure deletion but am I able to still use my drive.

Example:

I have hard drive of 60 gb but 10 gb free.

Now wanted to delete some video files of 22 gb to get some free space (32gb). Is that possible?

Cheers

I've changed your title to something more readable.

Yes, your analysis is correct. At the end of an erase, the system deletes the file after obfuscating the filename.

Cheers for that!

I have lost my e-mail adress passworrd "sigh" :x

So am still the same person,, please can you tell me why my 69GB hard drive went to 1 gb. after deleting the files 30gb files.

I have seen in some forums you were talking about

"delete folder which contains randomly named name file/folder .......... random file names 1kb"

a)does that has anything to do with it?
b)where I these files/folders on my vista laptop?

Thanx again for your help,
I will try to donate some money even though as a student I#m broke

You did a recycle bin erase; the randomly named folder is only for unused space erases. Those are different.

I'm guessing that Windows has archived a copy of the deleted file in the System Restore database. You can try deleting the store and see if you get your space back. If you do, that means that the original 22GB file is still lurking on your disk surface and you'll need to do an unused space erase.

Joel said:
You did a recycle bin erase; the randomly named folder is only for unused space erases. Those are different.

Thanks for that.

I'm guessing that Windows has archived a copy of the deleted file in the System Restore database. You can try deleting the store and see if you get your space back. If you do, that means that the original 22GB file is still lurking on your disk surface and you'll need to do an unused space erase.

Sorry my computers skils are not very advanced yet, so will you be able to tell me how to do it?

System restore database- By using ccleaner and delete system restore will that be fine?

Unused space erase - How can I do that please? Eraser?

Yes that should be fine. You may have to delete until there are no system restore points though. Beware this may mean you cannot go back to undo harmful system errors.

Unused space erase - go to the Help button on Eraser's UI, there's a section on configuring an unused space erase.

Back