"Secure Move" causes Eraser 6.1.2276 to crash as admin

jblather

When using Windows Explorer to 'secure move' via dragging a 352k PDF file from Windows Desktop to a server (UNC path), Eraser crashes.

First, Windows almost immediately reports that Eraser has stopped working with the dialog, "Eraser has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...". This dialog stays up for about 30 seconds, then just goes away. Erase thereafter immediately reports that the task executed, but when I move my house over the Eraser icon in the system tray, the icon disappears.

The file did not show up on the server and remained on the Desktop. I have to restart Eraser manually. Eraser was started as admin when this happens.

This doesn't happen if Eraser is started as non-admin - it works fine as non-admin.

FYI.

This isn't really a problem. I can always run Eraser as non-admin or copy-then-erase-in-place.

Eraser 6.1.2276
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
8 gig RAM

When you switched over to running Eraser as Admin, did you first close the running process before restarting as Admin?

David

On the Settings page, enable the Black Box plugin (you will need to scroll down the window to find the check box, then back up to confirm the change, then re-start Eraser).

When you get the crash, there will be a dated report folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Eraser 6\Crash Reports. The program offers you an option to upload the report to Heidi's server, but explains that it may contain data that identifies you, so you may not wish to do this (it always times out on me in any case). There is however useful but not particularly sensitive data in the two log files in the report, and you can copy and paste some or all of that into a post.

David

I think I know what's wrong. Windows 7 prevents applications from accessing UNC paths unless the user authenticates that access via a login dialog. Eraser 6.1.2276 isn't allowing that login dialog to occur. Please note that the credentials I use to log into Windows 7 are different than those used to access the server. See "Exception 1" of the Erase Crash Assistant excerpt, below.

The crash report has this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exception 1:

Exception Type: System.IO.IOException
Stack Trace [0]: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
Stack Trace [1]: at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
Stack Trace [2]: at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
Stack Trace [3]: at Eraser.DefaultPlugins.SecureMoveErasureTarget.CopyFile(FileInfo info)
Stack Trace [4]: at Eraser.DefaultPlugins.SecureMoveErasureTarget.Execute()
Stack Trace [5]: at Eraser.Manager.DirectExecutor.ExecuteTask(Task task)
Stack Trace [6]: at Eraser.Manager.DirectExecutor.Main()
Stack Trace [7]: at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
Stack Trace [8]: at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I'd rather not submit the Erase Crash Assistant report since it has sensitive information in it. If you *really* need it, I will try to scrub information from it, but I think the problem is clear.

Thanks!

Gotcha -- the problem I'd face is that as tasks run in a separate process than the UI, it's not currently possible to get user input during an erase. I believe Eraser should work as a normal (non-admin) user as you've keyed in the credentials into Explorer already. The workaround would be to mount the network path as an administrator to a drive letter first before doing the secure move as an administrator.

I foresee this to be a potential problem in future when everything is done in a service.

Back