Secure Move

Undergrad

I've been missing the secure move feature, and way back i seen a reply directing someone to a build that had it in it. But I don't want to use it now since it's been a while and eraser moved to 6.09.

So which nightly build would you recommend as stable with the "secure move" feature ?

By definition, nightly builds always carry stability risks, and that is likely to be more true than usual over the coming weeks; Joel has warned us that he is doing things 'under the hood' of Eraser, and some things may well break and need fixing as a result. Certainly that has been my experience over the last few days.

However, I have been testing build 2442 over the last day or so, and the breakages identified so far appear to have been fixed. Everything I have tested has worked, but I have yet to test the secure move functionality in this build. This was working in earlier (no longer available) builds, so I suggest you try 2442. Note that this will download and install .NET 4 Extended if it is not already on your machine, and that any problems you have with beta builds should be reported in the Beta forum.

David

I have now tested Secure Move in Build 2442 (including verifying with Recuva). It works.

David

I am using the latest version (6.0.10.2620) but the Secure Move feature is not available. Will this feature be available in an upcoming update? It's a great feature and I miss it.

Thanks
Bob

Secure move is only available in the development (6.1) builds, and is not in the stable 6.0 release.

The latest 6.1 build (6.1.0.2715) appears to be working quite well, although the usual caveats about development builds apply. I have done a quick test of the secure move feature (which is most easily used from the context menu) in build 2715, and it appears to be working properly.

Note that if you install a 6.1 build, you will need to re-create your task list, and if you wish to revert from 6.1.x to 6.0.x you will need to do a full uninstall before you reinstall 6.0.

David

DavidHB said:
Secure move is only available in the development (6.1) builds, and is not in the stable 6.0 release.

The latest 6.1 build (6.1.0.2715) appears to be working quite well, although the usual caveats about development builds apply. I have done a quick test of the secure move feature (which is most easily used from the context menu) in build 2715, and it appears to be working properly.

Note that if you install a 6.1 build, you will need to re-create your task list, and if you wish to revert from 6.1.x to 6.0.x you will need to do a full uninstall before you reinstall 6.0.

David

Thanks for the info David!

Sorry to revive this topic, but as of today, the Secure Move feature is still not included in the stable version. I tried with the latest build (6.1.0.2945), but Eraser crashes before anything is done (Win7x64SP1).

The most painful thing is that in version 5, this feature existed and was working fine. Why has it been removed?? Is it safe to use old version 5?

Back