Shutdown after finishing the erase process doesn't work

Carver

I an using Eraser 5.8 beta. Yesterday before work I set-up a new task to wipe free space and keep it on the menu and when it is done to shut down, when I got home I found the computer still on. I just looked at Erasers Help file and the online FAQ and the quick Start Guide for any reference to how to use this feature, I can't find any. It just doesn't work, unless I did something wrong.

Don't feel bad - I can't even find that particular option in the 5.8 program interface anymore.

Was it a one-time deal, where you could only set it up once?

Okay, I managed to find the setting for that again ( on the main interface of Eraser, you simply double-click on the name of the drive, select "Properties" and on the "Data" tab you'll see "When Finished" down at the bottom).

It says "When Finished" and it - supposedly - gives you the option (on the drop-down menu there) of selecting either "None"/"Restart"/"Shutdown System".

It's easy to see what the problem is:

Select (click on) "Restart" in the drop-down menu. At that point, you should be able to click off to the side of that and the "Restart" selection would go from being blue to a neutral color (to show that it had been selected). It doesn't do that - it remains blue (actually, "None" remains blue, also whether you select it or not).

At any rate, if you then click "Okay" (thinking that you're done), the "Task Properties" window vanishes without making the change. You can prove that by immediately going back to the "Task Properties" window - the "When Finished" box is going to say "None" - just like it did before you started.

Yeah, it'd be great if that got fixed. Pete

Select (click on) "Restart" in the drop-down menu. At that point, you should be able to click off to the side of that and the "Restart" selection would go from being blue to a neutral color (to show that it had been selected). It doesn't do that - it remains blue (actually, "None" remains blue, also whether you select it or not).

At any rate, if you then click "Okay" (thinking that you're done), the "Task Properties" window vanishes without making the change. You can prove that by immediately going back to the "Task Properties" window - the "When Finished" box is going to say "None" - just like it did before you started.

Yeah, it'd be great if that got fixed. Pete

Yours is blue :shock: , my drop-down box is a neutral color and stays a neutral color. It does not vanishes after I click "OK", (but it does vanish if you click the red X before runing the task). I just set up a task to delete my browser cashe, and restart to delete dcashe4 a internet shortcut, it is part of Operas cashe(it regenerates). After I set-up the task and clicked "OK" I went back and checked the task propertys to make sure it was still set to restart. I then ran the Task, it showed the erase report instead of reatarting like I just set it to do. Then I checked task propertys again, it was still set to restart. If a task Report stops if from following a restart or shutdown, maybe it shouldn't apply to scheduled tasks. In the case of a scheduled task Eraser should just bypass the report.

Hi Carver!

Un-checking all "logging" options in Eraser allowed the "ON-Demand" field to hold the "Restart" option - but the "Scheduler" still returns to "None" (even after having tried to set both of them individually), at least here. Pete

spy1 said:
Hi Carver!

Un-checking all "logging" options in Eraser allowed the "ON-Demand" field to hold the "Restart" option - but the "Scheduler" still returns to "None" (even after having tried to set both of them individually), at least here. Pete

I tried that last night, but only the first box in "Logging Options". I had no effect on restart or shutdown.

Carver - Just out of curiousity, how long did you wait to see if the computer was going to re-start itself?

I had almost given up this afternoon (waiting for it to re-start itself after an "on Demand" free-space wipe) - had even actually clicked on Start/Shutdown - when I got an on-screen message that it wasn't going to do that because it was already in the process of shutting down.

Which it then did.

Guess I waited at least three minutes before that happened (from the time the free-space run was finished). Pete

I waited at least three minutes Pete

Thats about what I waited.
[edit]I tried it again, this time I waited for 5 minutes while watching it, not even a hour glass and I checked propertys box. The box changed back to none[/edit].

Back