Side by side configuration

cbarlettalcc

I used Eraser 5.7 for a long while and found it to be an excelent program. I decided to upgrade recently and found the 6.0 series lacked the flexability of the 5.7. I installed the 5.88 program after deleting the 5.7 and got the following message after fully installing it.
Side by Side configuration error:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\Buzz\Documents\Eraser\ErsChk.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

The rest came from my events viewer. Now neither of the programs will work. How can I fix this problem. I really like the program, can someone tell me. Thanks Carmen

I'd guess you still have some or all of the Eraser 6 application installed. Basically, you can't have Eraser 5.x and Eraser 6.x running on the same machine; well, some people can, but it's a recipe for trouble.

I suggest uninstalling both (Eraser 6 first), then reinstalling the one you want. Remember that Eraser 5.x is no longer supported, and will not be developed further, which is a death sentence for any application.

What features were missing from Eraser 6 that you wanted? It is true that Eraser 6 does not (yet) have the full feature set of Eraser 5, but it is also the case that some 'missing' features are there but just not where users of Eraser 5 expect to find them.

David

I removed everything from both programs. I even went to the registry and removed everything therer and it still would not work.

This appears, unfortunately, to be an issue with Windows components that just happens to manifest itself with the Eraser installation. What is happening is that versions of the runtime files Eraser needs should be on your machine, but are not. Debugging this issue is complex, and I hesitate to point you in that direction. Joel will know better than I which files you should download from Microsoft and install.

Did you re-download Eraser before attempting to reinstall it? The issue is supposed to be fixed in more recent builds.

Later: also, is your Windows fully updated? That can also be an issue.

David

Thanks, Joel. I have added a link to this thread to the 'Common Eraser problems' FAQ topic.

David

Back