Slow erasing?

greyowl

I just started using Eraser recently. Initially, I used the right click to erase some files and it was immediate with a setting of 3 passes, pseudorandom, and cluster tips. Today, I used it to erase my recycling bin which was about 100mb with the same settings and it took about 15 minutes. This seemed like a long time compared to other eraser apps that I have used. Is this normal? Why do some apps do it quicker?

There are sometimes file lef tin the recycle bin which is not deleted (and can't be); Eraser may be removing those. Just guessing - without access to an end-user's computer it's hard to determine. Your disk may also be doing something else - defragmentation, or other disk-intensive activity. Those will slow down erasures as well.

Joel

Thanks for the ideas, Sven

I tried it again today? I did cleaning of the computer with Sweepi which put about 120mb of files in the recycling bin. I moved quickly through about 85% of the files, then took about 30 mins to erase the remaining files. Eraser was set for 1 pass and pseudorandom. The computer was not defraging and there was no other activity on the computer. The computer is on a network.

Does this sound unusual to you for it to take so long?

Are the remaining files from the network? ie network share mounts?

Joel

I do not know. They were cleared by Sweepi. If they are network files, would this slow it down?
Is the time it is taking unusual from your experience?
Will v.6 be faster in erasing? I could try the beta?

More information: I recall the files that took so long were identified by Eraser as DC89, DC90, DC91, etc. as it was erasing them, however, this was not the names on the files in the recycling bin and the sizes in the recycling bin were small, like under 1 mb.

Unusual yes. it is unlikely a code issue. The filenames being "weird" are normal. I am really thinking that it is on a network. Try erasing them and monitoring your network activity in future.

Joel

So v6 probably won't be of help.

Joel

Joel said:
Unusual yes. it is unlikely a code issue. The filenames being "weird" are normal. I am really thinking that it is on a network. Try erasing them and monitoring your network activity in future.

Joel

Thanks for the postings and your effort to help me to understand this.

I am glad to hear that it is not Eraser that is the problem because I will primarily be using Eraser at home where there is no network.

The problem occurred at work on a computer that is part of the corporate network. Assuming that it is the network that is giving the problem, I am wondering if I disconnect the network cord on the computer before I do the cleaning and erasing if this would avoid the problem.

Thanks again.

Chances are, if you unplug the cord and erase your stuff there will be nothing to erase - the files are stored on your network server held remotely and by unplugging the cord the files will not be found.

Joel

You are right--it was a network problem.

I disconnected the network cord and eraser worked fine in erasing the items in the recycling bin--no hangups or slowdown.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back