Solution to Drag and Drop files with Eraser in Windows 10.

Diego F.

Hi everyone.

A while ago I could not drag and drop files from the file explorer to Eraser. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 2004 and I'm also using the latest version of Eraser, 6.2.0.2990 at the time of writing this.

Well, I've been looking in this forum why drag and drop it's not working in Eraser, and what I found is that UAC prevents files to be dragged and dropped between processes of a lower privilege level (Explorer) and one of a higher privilege level (Eraser), this is a Windows restriction. So according to that logic, I thought: Ok, if drag and drop will not work between windows with different privilege levels, then one of the two, Eraser or the file explorer, they must be at the same level as the other. So or the file explorer should run as an administrator together with Eraser, or Eraser must run without administrator permission as the file explorer. So using either of the two ways, the drag and drop function can work without problem.

So, with that reasoning, and with the goal of activating the function drag and drop, I decided that Eraser runs without administrator permission, like file explorer, and is very easy; these instructions serve if you are using Windows 10:

1. If you have open Eraser, just close it completely, in this way, right click on your system tray icon and click on Exit Eraser.
2. Go to the Eraser installation folder (C:\Program Files\Eraser) and find the Eraser.exe file
3. Right click on the file, click Properties and go to the Compatibility tab (here we see that the option "Run this program as Administrator" is active but greyed out, we are going to deactivate it.)
4. Click on the button "Change settings for all users"
5. Uncheck the "Run this program as Administrator" box and click OK.
6. Finally, on the Compatibility tab once again uncheck the "Run this program as Administrator" box and click OK.

That's it, now open Eraser, select the files you want to delete and drag them to the program, as you can see the Drag and Drop function now works without problem. ツ

Although I haven't tested it yet, I can bet that if I set the file explorer to run as administrator just like Eraser, Drag and Drop might work too.

One last thing I have to say is that, if you want to erase the unused space on your disk, you will need to re-enable the "Run this program as Administrator" checkboxes, it is very important that you do so since this function will not be able to be executed correctly if Eraser does not run as administrator.

Well, this is my contribution, and I hope I have been able to help you with this much needed and missing function ... until now!

Regards.

Last edited:
Back