Some free space files do not erase.

Dingo

I am using the most recent version of Eraser on 32-bit Vista, and some files do not appear to have been wiped.
I think they are Mozilla Firefox cached files.

Any tips?

The files must be specified to be deleted before Eraser will delete it. Currently, Eraser is a "dumb" erasing program, it will only erase files you tell it to. There's a thread somewhere in the forum (search for it, I can't remember offhand) which lists the files which must be deleted from the Firefox profile to achieve your aim.

Joel said:
The files must be specified to be deleted before Eraser will delete it. Currently, Eraser is a "dumb" erasing program, it will only erase files you tell it to. There's a thread somewhere in the forum (search for it, I can't remember offhand) which lists the files which must be deleted from the Firefox profile to achieve your aim.
These have been deleted already though, and i think are in the freespace.

Have you cleared system restore (including disabling it to delete even the latest entry) and do a free space erase?

How far in the erase does Eraser go before throwing you this error?

Oh, which version are you using, by the way?

Joel said:
How far in the erase does Eraser go before throwing you this error?

Oh, which version are you using, by the way?
I am not 100% sure (I fell asleep during the process >.>) but I think it was probably about 75-85% through it.
I am using the most recent version.

I do have one question though: Does eraser erase MFT records? I think this may have to do with it.

Most recent? What is most recent? v5 and v6 both had recent releases and both are "recent..."

Eraser does erase MFT records, but only if the erase completes. Running out of free space during the erase should be normal. But I can confirm the problem only if I know the version you're using.

Joel said:
Most recent? What is most recent? v5 and v6 both had recent releases and both are "recent..."

Eraser does erase MFT records, but only if the erase completes. Running out of free space during the erase should be normal. But I can confirm the problem only if I know the version you're using.
Sorry it is indeed v6.

I'm guessing then that this is a reverse phenomenon; usually when users erase the free space the amount of space decreases due to the erasure and the system will try to release as much space as possible. However, in your case, the system may have instead allocated space causing the amount of space available for erasure to drop, something Eraser doesn't expect. Did you write any (large?) files to the drive when you did the unused space erasure or was it left unattended?

If it was left unattended, then what programs are you running?

Thanks!

Joel said:
I'm guessing then that this is a reverse phenomenon; usually when users erase the free space the amount of space decreases due to the erasure and the system will try to release as much space as possible. However, in your case, the system may have instead allocated space causing the amount of space available for erasure to drop, something Eraser doesn't expect. Did you write any (large?) files to the drive when you did the unused space erasure or was it left unattended?

If it was left unattended, then what programs are you running?

Thanks!
I did not write any files. On a different run I did erase some though.
I was running McAfee, Daemon Tools Lite, Ad-Aware, and Java at the time I believe.

Can you replicate the error all the time? Or does it occur once in a while?

Say, out of ten times over a period of a few days? Give it some time and see if anything helps. If it doesn't work at all post back in say 3 days or so and PM me with your email address, I'll try to get you a debug build.

Back