Still shows 65.8 MB ... plz !!!

pcrobot

Hi Sir,

I have already ran Eraser 5.7 on one of my 20GB HDD.
Before runing Eraser I deleted all files from HDD. Then I ran "unused space on disk" with "pseudorandom data".
But after running, it still shows 65.8 MB in used space in HDD properties.
So I would like to know what is that over 60 MB ??? How can I delete it ??

And...I didn't check with any recovery software and also advice me which recovery software should I use for testing the HDD is really erase or not.

Thanks and Regards,
Linn

If your hard drive is formatted to NTFS, it's probably blank.

65.8 MB used space would be consistent with the minimum footprint for NTFS.

Glenn said:

thanks.
I have erase again with 3 passes technique. Then I checked with "Turbo File Uneraser" recovery software and I found many files with name such as "000000000000000000001...,2,A,B...." etc. So, I would like to know what is these files and how can I delete them although there'are no data in HD.

They may just be the remnants of the folder & files of pseudorandom data created by Eraser in the overwriting process.

Are they all in the root directory? What are the filename extensions and other properties (size, creation date, etc.)?

Have you tried opening one?

pcrobot said:
Glenn said:

thanks.
I have erase again with 3 passes technique. Then I checked with "Turbo File Uneraser" recovery software and I found many files with name such as "000000000000000000001...,2,A,B...." etc. So, I would like to know what is these files and how can I delete them although there'are no data in HD.
files with those names are definately the files left behind by eraser. When you do a wipe of free space, it doesn't do so by creating one big file, it creates a multitude of smaller files, which are then wiped. Effectively eraser wipes free space by filling it with files. Hence you end up with those files, all 0kb in size. Unfortunately, there is no way I know of that enables someone to truly "blank" free space after a free space wipe: you will still have files there, just they will be blank, but will still show. This is how it is possible to tell if someone has done a wipe of free space...

yeh...most of these files are 0KB. Some files hav size but I can't open it.

And I would like to know more.
Is 3 times erasing of 1 pass = 1 time erasing of 3 passes method ???
and do I need to format HD again after erasing unused space with Eraser ???

pcrobot said:

yeah, I would consider that 3 times erasing of 1 pass is the same (or at least as effective) as 1 time erasing with 3 passes. The only difference would appear to be that in the 1 time erasing with 3 passes, the program runs from the first sector to the last only the once but performs 3 wipes on each sector as it runs. With the other method, the program will run 3 times, erasing each sector once in each of the 3 passes.

There is no need to reformat the HD after erasing unused space with Eraser. You might be getting the Eraser program confused with DBAN, which not only wipes free space, but all the partitions and everything else on the HD! That would require a reformat and a reinstallation of the partitions / Windows XP etc.

With Eraser, you just wipe the free space and then the program is completed and your computer should be ready to use as normal! When I do a free space wipe, all I do is turn System Restore back on and restart the computer, as I close down as many programs as possible before starting the free space wipe (to ensure as many files as possible aren't locked). Obviously these are programs I run at start-up eg firewall, anti-virus.

Robbie said:
pcrobot said:

yeah, I would consider that 3 times erasing of 1 pass is the same (or at least as effective) as 1 time erasing with 3 passes. The only difference would appear to be that in the 1 time erasing with 3 passes, the program runs from the first sector to the last only the once but performs 3 wipes on each sector as it runs. With the other method, the program will run 3 times, erasing each sector once in each of the 3 passes.

There is no need to reformat the HD after erasing unused space with Eraser. You might be getting the Eraser program confused with DBAN, which not only wipes free space, but all the partitions and everything else on the HD! That would require a reformat and a reinstallation of the partitions / Windows XP etc.

With Eraser, you just wipe the free space and then the program is completed and your computer should be ready to use as normal! When I do a free space wipe, all I do is turn System Restore back on and restart the computer, as I close down as many programs as possible before starting the free space wipe (to ensure as many files as possible aren't locked). Obviously these are programs I run at start-up eg firewall, anti-virus.

Many Thanks for ur explanations!
Now I would like to know Should I use DBAN for all data erasing in HD ?

I mean, I have 2 HDs (A,B) and both are using NTFS.
But I only want HD-B has no data and wanna erase with Eraser. But some of my friends said NTFS system can share data. So I'm just worrying about data transfering from HD-A to HD-B.

So Erasing unused space of HD-B is enough for all data clearing in HD-B ???

If you want to be sure of a proper wipe, use DBAN rather than Eraser. But make sure you have a disk that will boot the computer and then reformat the hard drive (or you know how to do it yourself). But be prepared to have an unworkable compter if you use DBAN, unless you know you can reinstall / reformat.

Eraser is great for cleaning up what you have on a computer. DBAN is even better, but it will destroy everything that is on the hard drive. But the latter will leave you with an almost-perfect new hard-drive.

Robbie said:
If you want to be sure of a proper wipe, use DBAN rather than Eraser. But make sure you have a disk that will boot the computer and then reformat the hard drive (or you know how to do it yourself). But be prepared to have an unworkable compter if you use DBAN, unless you know you can reinstall / reformat.

Eraser is great for cleaning up what you have on a computer. DBAN is even better, but it will destroy everything that is on the hard drive. But the latter will leave you with an almost-perfect new hard-drive.

ok...thanks again :)
and this is my last question about the great software, "Eraser".
What would be happen if I stop when eraser is running with "erase unused space" (only 20% is done) ???

pcrobot said:
Robbie said:

ok...thanks again :)
and this is my last question about the great software, "Eraser".
What would be happen if I stop when eraser is running with "erase unused space" (only 20% is done) ???

Sorry...I mean I have already erased with 3 passes (unused space).
After that erase, I have also erased again with 1 pass. But that 1 pass erasing is not finished yet and electricity is cut off. At that time, my friend came to my home and he took that hard drive. So, Im worrying about my data.

Back