subfolder names

joe935

Both 5.7 and 5.8 act the same way.
I have the following task properties set in Eraser:
Files in folders
subfolders
remove folders
only subfolders
When I run a data rescue program I can still see the subfolder names, They do show they are deleted. I would like to see the names erased. Is this possible?

How about it. Is there an answer to this problem about folder names not being erased?

There is a option under edit/preferences/erasing/File names:File names will always be cleared on NT/XP and above. I don't know if this option works for you. But it works for me.

When you say you see the subfolders are you certain they are from the same branch as the ones you actually erased?

e.g what happens if you create a folder 'abc' then subfolder 'def' and then erase. Can you get these back? All the folder identification should be wiped as well.

Garrett

Heres what happens i have folder aaaa and subfolders of aaaa called bbbb and cccc. IE c:\aaaa\bbbb and c:\aaaa\cccc
if i have eraser erase all the files in bbbb and cccc and the option is set to erase subfolders. At completion of the operation the subfolders are not visable in Windows explorer but if i run Drive recovery bbbb and cccc are visable there.
If i tell eraser to erase all folders including aaaa then none of the 3 folders are visable in drive recovery.
Shouldn't the fact that i tell it to only delete subfolders of aaaa make those folder names unrecoverable?
Hope this is clearer.

The answer to ADMINs question:
Yes the folder ABCD is visable in DRIVE RESCUE as _BCD. So the folder names are not being completely erased.

And to Carvers question.
Yes both the options for overwrite are checked. I have Win98 not NT.

So it looks like eraser is not working as it should in Win 98.

joe935 said:
And to Carvers question.
Yes both the options for overwrite are checked. I have Win98 not NT.
So it looks like eraser is not working as it should in Win 98.

Windows 98 is not supported for file name erase:
File names will always be cleared on NT/XP and above.

then that statement shouldnt be in parens or that fact should be included in the statement, that win98 is not supported

Back