Task was executed with errors

Lech

Hi, each time I'm trying to erase a file I get the message: task was executed with errors. That's after using Eraser out of the context menu.
Same thing happens when "cleaning" the trash can.
Does anybody know a solution to this?

Please read the sticky FAQ topic on Getting to know Eraser 6; this explains how to run Eraser as Administrator, which is what you need to do.

David

That's not the answer I was looking for. If to delete a file using Eraser, I can not do it out of context menu, but have to open the program as an Administrator
and then move the file into the program to delete it, then the program doesn't really do what it's supposed to do and is pretty useless to me.

Lech said:
That's not the answer I was looking for. If to delete a file using Eraser, I can not do it out of context menu, but have to open the program as an Administrator and then move the file into the program to delete it, then the program doesn't really do what it's supposed to do and is pretty useless to me.
It's a permissions issue, and so is a function of the file(s) you are trying to erase, and not of Eraser as such. For whatever reason, Windows is telling you that you do not have permission to erase the files in question. You fix that by restarting Eraser as Administrator, then, if you like, closing the Eraser window. You can still do context menu erasing when you are running as administrator, though you cannot do drag and drop erasing.

Mostly, running Eraser as administrator is not necessary for erasing files and folders. It is necessary for erasing free space.

David

Hi, I wonder why would this be? I'm the sole user of my system, so my account is the administrator's account and I always log in as such.
Granted, that my administrator account is not the same with the system's ADMINISTRATOR account, but I don't think it should matter in this case,
especially since I'm only deleting my personal files from "Pictures" and "Documents" folders.

These issues often baffle me as well, usually at some hair-tearing 'why has it done that?' moment. FWIW, I think that there are a number of factors that contribute to the general mess which is Windows permissions.

Firstly, the users/permissions concept is just not very well implemented in Windows, and lacks the strict logic that you find in, for example, Linux. Microsoft has tried to find a balance between users (such as home or single users like yourself) who have no need for the facility and want to be spared the complication, and corporate users who need to maintain strict and secure controls. Because the latter requirement demands that the OS runs a permissions system at all times, Microsoft has from XP on simplified the user interface for home users by (paradoxically) adding extra layers of complexity; when something happens under the hood that the user does not understand, the only way to resolve the problem is to get into the gory detail, going through layers of confusing menus to do something that in Linux can be achieved with a one line console command. In XP Home, some of the functionality needed to resolve problems was actually unavailable to users.

Second, the way in which permissions are inherited in Windows/NTFS can produce unexpected and counter-intuitive results; problems in this area can then only be resolved by doing battle with the menus as aforesaid.

Third, there was a change from XP to Vista (and now Win7); in XP, accounts with administrative privileges were always run 'as administrator' (aka 'elevated'), while from Vista on they run by default as normal accounts, and individual programs have to be explicitly run elevated to gain administrator privileges. It is apparent, not least from posts to this forum, that many former XP users are unaware of this change and its implications.

Fourth there are some (actually rather a lot of) files in Vista and Win7 which are owned by a special system account to which the user, administrator or not, has no access. To my way of thinking, this is security gone mad, but there it is.

My guess is that your system has been bitten by one or more of these issues. Mine have, many times.

David

Thank you, David!
This explains a lot, plus it reminded me of some issues that I need to address, that could be the reason for it,
that concern UAC.
Thank you, again.

Disabling UAC is the simplest approach, but not one I'd usually recommend (actually, after Vista SP1, I probably was one of the few "idiot" developers who keep UAC on -- for many reason, but mostly to be placed in the shoes of a user.)

I think what's important here is to see what are you erasing. If you need Eraser to run as an administrator to erase the file, chances are you're erasing something you shouldn't be. If it is not the case, is it on a removable drive? We can work on it together if you are willing.

Back