temporary disk space running out

Brian

Hi,

I am using eraser 5.3 and seems to be getting a windows error message stating that I have run out of temporary hard disk space on my drive. This always happens and eraser terminates. Eraser is creating the ~ERAFSWD.TMP file and it becomes the size of the drive.

The log file is as follows

Information:
Statistics:

Erased area = 8307 MB

Cluster tips = 26590 kB

Data written = 8307 MB

Write time = 865.52 s

Write speed = 9828 kB/s

Failures:
Failed: D:\~ERAFSWD.TMP\IXEL00CD.H92

At the windows warning box (about the temporary disk space running out), I clicked on "cancel" but eraser seems to terminate and not ignore the windows warning.

Is there so configuration I need to do to rectify this ?

I am running windows 98 on eraser version 5.3 (build 5363). The problem prevails on 5.7 also.

The problem occurs on all drives after I have run the on-demand "unused disk space"

:(
Brian

Eraser is supposed to temporarily fill your hard drive, and it should terminate pretty soon after Windows warns you about this. That's normal. I am not exactly sure why it fails to delete a temporary file it created though.

Because he is hitting 'cancel' which is causing Eraser to quit abnormally. Eraser should dismiss the warning after a few seconds. Just ignore any 'free space is low' warnings that you may get while you are running Eraser, and Eraser should delete all of it's temp files.

SammeyDW said:
Because he is hitting 'cancel' which is causing Eraser to quit abnormally. Eraser should dismiss the warning after a few seconds. Just ignore any 'free space is low' warnings that you may get while you are running Eraser, and Eraser should delete all of it's temp files.

Yes. I hit cancel but has eraser worked or not. Why the error message in the log file. Yes, the temp files ARE removed. But the feeling is that the program has failed.

SammeyDW - how does eraser "dismiss the warning after a few seconds"
Brian

Brian said:
SammeyDW said:

Yes. I hit cancel but has eraser worked or not. Why the error message in the log file. Yes, the temp files ARE removed. But the feeling is that the program has failed.

SammeyDW - how does eraser "dismiss the warning after a few seconds"
Brian

1) Have you run eraser , without clicking ANYTHING???? Please try this and do not click, ok, cancel or anything else.

2) Clicking cancel is giving eraser errors, please do not click it. I am unsure about the exact mecanisums as to how eraser dismisses warnings, but it will just let it run, also if you are using the sceduler there is an option to hide the warnings. Clicking cancel forces eraser to stop before it is ready thus the big *.tmp file and the error in the log file.

3) The error in the log file could also be caused if you are running low on free space. I have done some experiments on my own system and it looks like needs about 20% of the drive to be free, because by default eraser tries to wipe the *.tmp file, if this does not succeed it does a standard delete , and writes to the error log.

Back