Time to erase free disc space

Status
Not open for further replies.
jberaser said:
Robbie said:
did you download the .iso file for DBAN version 1.0.7? This is the current stable release (there is also a beta, upgraded, version with a much longer version name). I have version 1.0.7, it contains a .IMA file (of 1,400kb in size), which is a WinImage file. Additionally it has 4 folders (with files) as well as 3 text files and a file titled BOOT_CATALOG. These are all the files you need to run DBAN, you don't need to make the disk bootable via your burning software (eg Nero), nor does it need an exe file on the disk as the image on the disk has its own self extracting exe file, which is contained in the .IMA file.

I have the same files and folders as you on my DVD, plust 2 shortcuts - winimage and Darik_5_Boot_and_nuke, so I imagine it burned as expected.

I have also taken your very good info and saved it as a text file to follow when the time comes to trade in my computer.

I have one question. When the time comes to nuke the HD, how do I change the BIOS to make sure the system boots from the DBAN DVD? I imagine I would first change this, then turn off the system, then put the DBAN DVD into the DVD drive and reboot. But I have never changed any bios settings so don't quite know how to do this.

Thanks for all your good info. If would be nice if it was in the DBAN Readme.txt file!

Regards,

JB
To access the BIOS you normally have to press one certain key over and over again as soon as the computer starts. On mine it's DEL(ETE). On some it's F12. It depends on the motherboard...

A word of caution: if you do access the BIOS, be careful of what you do - you can make your computer inoperable if you don't know what you are doing. If you feel uncomfortable with what you are doing, just switch off your computer. When it restarts, it will go back to its default startup process.

Hi Robbie, :)

I was wondering if you could take the time to read and possibly answer my question also ?

Have you experienced DBAN failing to protect the HPA ?

I understand it may seem trivial but I do recommend DBAN to many people and if you know something we don’t I would very much appreciate your expert opinion.

Thanks. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back