".TOC" File after erase with names of erased files inside

krisroga

Hi,

I erased a some files, to try this program, in a partition of 100Mb, but when i check for files erased with easy recovery, this progran find one file with .TOC extension and this file have the same size of all of erased files aprox.

Mi question is, if this file can be used to recover the erased files or used to see name of files erased??

Thanks in advance.

Re: ".TOC" File after erase

Have you tried recovering them? Was it successful? The program is designed to not allow recovery. The best answer to your question is to attempt recovery yourself as there are many permutations of hardware/software/firmware and it is impossible to test all. But as a general rule, it should not be recoverable.

Re: ".TOC" File after erase

Joel said:
Have you tried recovering them? Was it successful? The program is designed to not allow recovery. The best answer to your question is to attempt recovery yourself as there are many permutations of hardware/software/firmware and it is impossible to test all. But as a general rule, it should not be recoverable.

Yes, i recovered successfull a file named FIL0.TOC and i can open whit notepad. After a time, the file are of same size of all erased files, i see a lot of data, but apparently has nothing to read. Now i trying to looking for a some name of any of erased files.

Edited: i found many names of erased files.

Re: ".TOC" File after erase with names of erased files insid

And can you please describe what you did?

Sure...

I try this steps to test if really all files are fuly erased:

Operating System : Windows 7

1.- In a new Hard drive of 500Gb i make a 100Mb partition.
2.- I copied some video and image files , about 70 mb in total.
3.- I erased all files with ERASER. Selecting all files and click on eraser context menu
Erasure method : GUTMAN 35 passes
Ramdomnes data source : RNGCryptoServiceProvider
4.- Check with Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional. Due to some errors with this program on windows 7, do this in windows Xp
5.- Easy Recovery found one file with TOC extension (FIL0.TOC) and i recover this file with DATA RECOVERY option, then select RAW RECOVERY .
6.- When i get the file i open with NOTEPAD. Looking in first part, i can read the names of files.

See this image. http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7160/filenamesl.jpg

Your image doesn't load.

If Joel's commitments allow him to get back to you within the next day or so, please follow his advice. If not, as you seem to be able to repeat your tests, please could you do a free space wipe of your target partition (you do not need to erase cluster tips), and advise as to whether the file still appears partly recoverable.

David

Does the files referenced in the TOC file exist on disk currently? In addition, is System Restore or Shadow Copies enabled? If so, disable both and re-run the unused space erase. Ensure that the erase completes (the status must say Completed with Warnings at best; filter down to the errors if it says Completed with Errors, ignoring cluster tip failures)

Back