Trying to access internet

dogdog

I am using Eraser v 6.0.10 with Vista Ultimate.

Whenever I try to delete files using Eraser - either right click from explorer or with command line - Eraser tries to access the internet. It is blocked by my firewall. It tries 3 or 4 times to access internet being blocked each time then Eraser starts and deletes file. Why is Eraser trying to access the internet?? How do I stop this??

In fact if I just start Eraser it tries to access the internet - perhaps it is trying to check for updates??

I have looked at Eraser settings but cannot find anything to help.

In case it is relevent I have prevented Eraser sarting up automatically when PC starts up.

Many thanks.

Eraser should not be accessing the internet only to check for updates. Could you install wireshark and check to see what is happening?

I think that the attempted access is for updates. The program trying to access the internet is eraser.exe

The ip address Eraser tries to access is 194.168.4.100:DNS

If I click "Check for Updates" Eraser tries to access the internet at this IP address.

How do I stop Eraser automatically checking for updates (Eraser seems to check whenever it is started).

I have prevented Eraser sarting up automatically when PC starts up. So Eraser starts up whenever I use it for deletion.

Many thanks.

How do I stop Eraser automatically checking for updates (Eraser seems to check whenever it is started).

You would not want to do this. It would defeat the purpose of your license. How did you disable it at startup? Msconfig?
1.gif

What has updates got to do with the licence???

How often is Eraser programmed to check for updates?? How do I switch this off??

There is no license issue.

As to it checking for updates we will have to investigate this as a bug.

It's Eraser checking for certificate authenticity for the plugins installed.

Eraser's built on plugins. And it needs to check that they are legitimate before loading them. How we do that is to state that all automatically loaded plugins need signatures on the plugins and along with this most certificates have CRLs (go google if you're interested) which allows certificate owners to "take back" their certificate after signing something, if it is compromised. The connection you're seeing is to verify the CRLs.

Back