Unable to Erase Free Disk Space Due to Long Filename

idlejim

Hi -

A long time ago some mug (a good friend actually!) downloaded a file to my computer that had a ridiculously long filename - I can't remember how long exactly, but it wouldn't open and I couldn't delete it. Eventually I found a way to delete it, and did so. I did not erase the file, just deleted it.
However, I'm about to upgrade to a larger hard-disk and wish to completely erase my current disk before selling it on, of both used and free data. The problem is - when I try and erase my free disk space Eraser trips up when it comes across this deleted file with a ridiculously long name. It fails to erase all free data.
Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Eraser is the wrong tool for what you want to do. If you are retiring a hard drive, as I mentioned in another thread recently, you would be better off using DBan to securely erase the entire contents of the drive.

Okay, I'll give that a go. I take it that there is no way around this problem then? That Eraser, like Windows, can't recognise filenames longer than ~270 characters? Thanks for the help... :D

There is a way but with the v5 codebase it is complex at best. v6 should handle it well.

Joel

Back