Unable to format Hard disc after using Eraser

Novicelee

Hi Support,

1. Recently downloaded eraser to remove "some files" in my HDD. The Eraser does its job perfectly.
(I used the Gutmann method to erase).
2. After I have cleared all data from my HDD, I decided to use windows to format this HDD but was unable to do so. I even did a repartition to the HDD (which was previously partition) and tried normal formatting without success. However quick formatting did the job, but files which I tried to copy into this HDD was not successful.
3. May I enquire, does the above mention symptom means that my HDD has been damaged beyond formatting?
Or there are some steps which I am not aware of to rectify.
4. I would sincerely appreciate your guidance to resolved this issue.

Thank you in advance.
Novice.

This is presumably a non-system drive (i.e. not C:).

Eraser works with the file system, and as it uses .NET (that is Microsoft) code to do so, it is reasonable to assume that you have file system or drive hardware issues, or indeed both. So the first thing is to check that the drive shows up correctly in (My) Computer. If it shows with the amount of disk space clearly indicated, Windows recognises the partition and can read the file table. If the disk space information is not present, something went wrong with the creation of the partition

If the partition seems to be read correctly, the next thing is to do a disk check on the target drive (with the correction of errors enabled). It would also be as well to check that the drive has not somehow been set to read only; use the security tab of the drive properties window to do this.

David

If Windows has got a problem formatting the disk, then either you've got a disk controller or disk failure on your hands. Is the disk old?

Joel said:
If Windows has got a problem formatting the disk, then either you've got a disk controller or disk failure on your hands.
The OP said that the drive apparently formatted correctly.

David

Novicelee said:
2. After I have cleared all data from my HDD, I decided to use windows to format this HDD but was unable to do so. I even did a repartition to the HDD (which was previously partition) and tried normal formatting without success. However quick formatting did the job, but files which I tried to copy into this HDD was not successful.
Sounds like a bad sector somewhere in the middle of the disk, since quick formatting worked but not a normal format (which does write on every sector on the disk)

Back