USB Hard disk

looney

Are there issues with USB hard disks, or are people confusing them with the USB flash drives?

Also, what is the free best recovery software to use?

Thanks

looney said:
Are there issues with USB hard disks, or are people confusing them with the USB flash drives?

Also, what is the free best recovery software to use?

Thanks

If you're asking about the issue of using erasing software on media that has a limited write capability in terms of the number of writes it is capable of before perhaps becoming unreliable, then that applies to USB Flash Drives, not Hard Drives.

As to recovery software, if you use Eraser then none of the recovery software will recover your data.

Regards,

jberaser

I think the issue with flash drives was the wear levelling feature some drives have. I personally tested this on a Corsair Flash Drive and found no problems. If you want to delete the free space on a flash drive wear levelling doesn’t matter as Eraser keeps writing until the drive is full.

I read somewhere that eraser didn't work well with usb drives. I just want to be sure that refers to USB Flash (like) drives, not USB attached Hard disks.

As for recovery software, I just want to know the best free undelete software out there. For two reasons. First, to undelete when I F*** up, and second to verify eraser has done its job (that I used it correctly).

Consider me a very advanced user.

In fact, I'd be interested in any good disk perusing software that would let me look at cluster tips, etc.

looney said:
I read somewhere that eraser didn't work well with usb drives. I just want to be sure that refers to USB Flash (like) drives, not USB attached Hard disks.

As for recovery software, I just want to know the best free undelete software out there. For two reasons. First, to undelete when I F*** up, and second to verify eraser has done its job (that I used it correctly).

Consider me a very advanced user.

In fact, I'd be interested in any good disk perusing software that would let me look at cluster tips, etc.

I can only suggest that you search the net for the recovery software info, as I don't have any. I only erase specific files or folders containing specific files and, of course, even if you f*** up and erase the wrong file you can't recover it with anything. And when I just delete files I send them to the recycle bin where they sit for at least a week before it's emptied. That way, if I realize I made a deletion I shouldn't have it's easy to get the file(s) back. If I don't need the files before the bin is emptied then the chances are I don't need them at all.

Regards,

jberaser

@overwriter

WinHex looks fantastic (thanks for that), but isn't free. Anything similar that is free? I've looked at most of the free recovery stuff, and haven't liked any of it. Anyway, just hoping you might know one I missed. Other wise I may just spring for winhex.

Back