Using eraser launcher from DOS

daniel

Hi,
When I ran eraser from Windows to overwrite unused disk space, a lot of files could not be examined, as they were being used. Below is a copy of most of the report I received afterwards:
Information:
Statistics:

Erased area = 232284 kB

Cluster tips = 232284 kB

Data written = 7939 MB

Write time = 12989.78 s

Write speed = 626 kB/s

Failures:
Error: Failed to create temporary directory to drive C:\, maybe one exists already. Try again.
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMCTRL.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNANP.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PIFMGR.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMSOUND.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMM.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DIBENG.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TOOLHELP.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WIN87EM.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTEM.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KRNL386.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KEYBOARD.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\POWER.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMSYSTEM.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSACM.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MIDIMAP.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSACM.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMTASK.TSK
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CP_437.NLS
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CP_850.NLS
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LOCALE.NLS
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\UNICODE.NLS
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEDLG.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOLSS.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINSPOOL.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VERSION.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LINKINFO.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMDLG.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPI.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPI32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ADVAPI32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPR.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPRSERV.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSPWL32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RSABASE.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IMAGEHLP.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINTRUST.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MOUSE.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\M1EREP.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\M2AUDMON.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\M2DD32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\M2GFX.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\M2RM.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\M2RM16.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\M2XAPM.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPRMMON.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSPP32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWNET32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWNP32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWPP32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SVRAPI.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NETWARE.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSNET32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCRT4.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CP_28591.NLS
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COOL.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CRYPT32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SOFTPUB.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSOSS.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHFOLDER.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSBASE.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTOREC.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORERC.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VSDATA95.VXD
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSNP32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\EAPCI95.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ENRES16.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PHONETIC.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CP_1252.NLS
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT20.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJSTICK.DRV
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WININET.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AMLANGMN.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AMPPRINT.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\eraser.dll
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\VGA850.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ARIAL.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ARIALBD.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ARIALBI.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ARIALI.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\COUR.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\TIMES.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\TIMESBD.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\WINGDING.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\APP850.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\COURE.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\MODERN.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\SERIFE.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\SMALLE.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\SSERIFE.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\SYMBOLE.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\VGAFIX.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\VGASYS.FON
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\MARLETT.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\COMICBD.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\VERDANA.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\VERDANAB.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\VERDANAI.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\trebucbd.ttf
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\TAHOMA.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\TAHOMABD.TTF
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP\VER.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP\LZEXPAND.DLL
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
Failed: C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat

The only program I had running at the same time (i.e. visible when pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL) was Systray. If I ran the "launcher" from DOS instead, would more of the above files be able to be examined? Also, please could anyone advise me on the error message at the start of the report above. Finally, when running launcher from DOS, please could anyone tell me whether the options of "free disk space" and "directory entries" (included in the windows version in the "unused disk space" options) are automatically included?

Thanks very much,
Daniel

Correction to post above

Hi,
Sorry - the only program I had running at the same time was "Explorer" , not Systray (see near end of post above)

Thanks

daniel said:
If I ran the "launcher" from DOS instead
Sorry, eraserl.exe is a Windows program, and you cannot run it from DOS.

Also, please could anyone advise me on the error message at the start of the report above.
It means that Eraser failed to create a temporary directory called "~ERAFSWD.TMP", possibly because one already exists on your C: drive. This also means that the program failed to erase the free disk space. In order to fix the problem, you must manually remove the directory before erasing the unused disk space again.

Hi Sami,
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand what you mean what you say that "launcher" is not an MS-DOS program - isn't this the one that can only be used in MS-DOS? On this subject I have been typing "eraserd" in MS-DOS, as you instructed in your reply to my other post, rather than "eraserl" (which is what is shown in the help file examples") - is there any difference? I have searched for the temp directory you mentioned and it doesn't seem to exist. This same thing happened on my previous (first) attempt. Do you know whether no free space was able to be erased, or just some of it? When running launcher from DOS, do you know whether the options of "free disk space" and "directory entries" (included in the windows version in the "unused disk space" options) are automatically included? If not, is is possible to include them?

Thanks very much,
Daniel

daniel said:
I don't understand what you mean what you say that "launcher" is not an MS-DOS program - isn't this the one that can only be used in MS-DOS?
No, eraserl.exe (also known as the "Eraser Launcher") is a 32-bit Windows application that can be used from the command line (in some Windows versions called "MS-DOS Prompt"). It cannot be run outside Windows. You shouldn't confuse it with eraserd.exe (also known as "EraserD"), which is a 16-bit DOS program. EraserD does not support most of the fancy features available with the Windows applications and only overwrites with pseudorandom data, but it can be run from DOS.
I have searched for the temp directory you mentioned and it doesn't seem to exist.
Try running this command: deltree /y C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP
This same thing happened on my previous (first) attempt.
If that was the first time you have ever run Eraser on your system, it seems that the program cannot create the temporary directory for some (other) reason. What operating system are you using? Can you create the "C:\~ERAFSWD.TMP" directory manually?
Do you know whether no free space was able to be erased, or just some of it?
If Eraser failed to create the directory, then none of the free space was erased. The warnings seem to suggest that the program successfully erased the cluster tip area though.
When running launcher from DOS, do you know whether the options of "free disk space" and "directory entries" (included in the windows version in the "unused disk space" options) are automatically included?
If you use eraserl.exe from the "MS-DOS Prompt" in Windows, it uses the same global preferences you set in the "Erasing Preferences" window. The DOS program, eraserd.exe, is a completely separate application, and respects only the parameters it receives from the command line.

Thanks very much for your reply (sorry- I've only just noticed it).
I have Windows 95. I am going to first try reinstalling Eraser (please see my post "Eraser Uninstaller Corrupted)".

Hi Sami,
I've now reinstalled Eraser. I've just searched again for the temp file you mentioned, to check it is installed correctly, but it still doesn't exist. I've just opened the MS-DOS prompt while in Windows and typed the "deltree" command which you mentioned. On pressing Enter, the prompt returns to the default, so I assume it worked. Following Windows Help instructions, I opened "Explorer", highlighted drive C, and selected "File" then "New". There is no option for a new directory, only new folder or shortcut. However, when I try to create a new folder directly under drive C, I get message that access is denied. I'd be grateful for any further advice. Now that I have used the "deltree" command, should I uninstall and reinstall again? Does the abscence of the .TMP file mean that only unused disk space erasing won't work, or will file erasing not work either?

Thanks very much,
Daniel

daniel said:
when I try to create a new folder directly under drive C, I get message that access is denied. I'd be grateful for any further advice.
It seems that this is why Eraser cannot create a new directory either. It's been a while since I have used Windows 9x, so I'm afraid I cannot help you with this. You could try running ScanDisk and see if that helps. Maybe someone else lurking in the forum has a suggestion... :?:
Now that I have used the "deltree" command, should I uninstall and reinstall again?
No, that won't be necessary.
Does the abscence of the .TMP file mean that only unused disk space erasing won't work, or will file erasing not work either?
The absence of the temporary directory is not a problem. The problem is that Eraser cannot create one when you erase the unused disk space. Apparently there is something wrong with your system or configuration, as you are unable to create one yourself. File erasing should work normally despite this problem.

Back