Using eraserl to automatically zero fill unused space

swardet

hi there.

problem statement:
i can use "eraserl -disk %systemdisk% -method random 1" which will use the pseudorandom method with 1 pass to erase space on my harddrive. however, if i want to specify zeros in a single pass i cannot seem to do that from the command line.

before replying saying "hey you can do that, just go into the options dialogue box" i don't want to have to invoke the options dialogue as i want the freedom to run this on a remote workstation from telnet, for example.

any help?

thx

The only way to do this would be to first select your custom method to be used for unused disk space from preferences (you only need to do this once, e.g when you create your method), and then omit the "-method" parameter when calling "eraserl.exe". The program will then use the method selected in preferences.

Thx Sami

The issue is, for a scenario where there are hundreds of computers or more, someone would have to visit each workstation and perform the same configuration of going into preferences and creating a new method.

would it be difficult to customize the eraser source to extend eraserl.exe to create a new the method automatically?

for example:
eraserl -disk %systemdisk% -method new -desc zero -passes 1 -pattern -byte1 00000000 byte2 00000000 byte3 00000000

Re: Thx Sami

swardet said:
would it be difficult to customize the eraser source to extend eraserl.exe to create a new the method automatically?
It would require some changes to the Eraser library API. I suggest you take a look at the source code and judge for yourself.

Back