[v6] Close when done

fr1973

Hi friends,

I have just updated to version 6.x however unlike previous versions, Eraser keeps on tray when task is finished so i have to close it manually. Is it possible to implement simple checkmark (or similar) to "close when done"?

Thanks

This has been raised on a couple of previous occasions, but I haven't found a reply from Joel or a relevant ticket in Trac. They may exist, but I haven't found them.

Eraser 6 works in a different way from Eraser 5, and the implementation of this feature will (even if agreed) require some thought. In Eraser 5, the option to shut down was a 'per task' setting, which always creates the possibility that one task will interfere with another. This is even more true in Eraser 6, where queued tasks are executed sequentially rather than in parallel. So presumably what you are requesting is a global option to shut down the machine once all queued tasks have been executed.

David

Yes, a global option would be fine but no, not to shutdown the machine but to close eraser process that keeps on tray (this was default behaviour for v5 i believe) after all queued tasks are executed.

Thanks

fr1973 said:
Yes, a global option would be fine but no, not to shutdown the machine but to close eraser process that keeps on tray (this was default behaviour for v5 i believe) after all queued tasks are executed.
Sorry, I misunderstood. This is already planned. In Eraser 5, the running process related only to the scheduler, but it is needed for the whole operation of Eraser 6, so implementing the change (hopefully in Eraser 6.2) is quite complex, and needs other changes to the architecture that are also part of the plan. You may wish to read Joel's FAQ post on Eraser architecture if you want to know the details.

David

fr1973 said:
Mind telling me what milestone would that be?
I was referring to ticket #299 (no running background process), which is in turn blocked by (= is dependent on) #278 (implement the Executor as a Service). I'm not sure quite how Joel will implement this, but I assume that it will work in rather the same way as Eraser 5; you would run Eraser at startup if you have scheduled tasks, but disable that option if you don't. Note that, under this plan, the Eraser Service would still be running in the background, but, unlike the process at present, this would be pretty much transparent to the user.

David

TBH, like mentioned elsewhere on the forum, this isn't a really high priority since there are more important tasks to be completed. It's important to keep everyone's expectations down-to-earth when only one person who isn't doing this full-time is doing the development...

Joel said:
TBH, like mentioned elsewhere on the forum, this isn't a really high priority since there are more important tasks to be completed. It's important to keep everyone's expectations down-to-earth when only one person who isn't doing this full-time is doing the development...
... which is why I always say I hope to see this in Eraser 6.2. Though in this case I was simply pointing the OP, as requested, in the direction of the Trac tickets, which pretty much speak for themselves.

David

Back