Way to get Eraser to erase files in Temporary Internet Files

Thanks Carver.
I have another related question. When I go there and do a right click and choose Erase, I get the message asking if I want to erase 2448 files and 22 folders. Yet, in Windows explorer, I see only 957 objects and no folders underneith the "Temporary Internet Files" folder. Can you explain this for me?

Thanks again for your help.
Bob

What you want to is erase is the files inside the folder, not the folder itself. So click on the folder and go up to the edit menu and select "select all" that should select all the files in the folder. Don't delete anything yet. Scroll through the list, you should just have cookies no folders. If you are seeing folders "STOP IMMEDIATELY" Find out if you are in the right folder..where the folder belong. You must be certain of what you are doing, it might be a good idea to make a restore point in system restore if you are uncertain about things. *|||* If you go MY computer/C/documents and settings/Local Setting/Temporay Internet Files, contentense 0f IE5 there are 4 numbered folders; a index.dat; a desktop.INI If this is what you see. You got the wrong folder.
In any case be very sure of what you are erasing.

I understand. I am under c:\documents and settings\name\local settings\Temporary Internet Files. I am not under "default user" or "administrator".

When I go to Edit\Select All all of the files in the directory are highlighted. There are 957 objects selected. Non are folders. Some are websites. Most are very small (1k) gif files. There are 3 small compressed files that look a bit like folders.

But when I Select All and then righ-click within the selected files, I do NOT get an option to Erase. It is only when I only click on the "Temporary Internet Files" folder that I get the option to Erase. But then, what it asks if I want to Erase is 2448 files and 22 folders. Are these files and folders some which have been deleted before but which I cannot see?

bobsing said:
But when I Select All and then righ-click within the selected files, I do NOT get an option to Erase. It is only when I only click on the "Temporary Internet Files" folder that I get the option to Erase.
I have the same problem, this is a flaw in Eraser. When you select all and right click within the selected files one of the options should be to delete those files to the recycle Bin. Then you erase it there, right click on the recycle Bin and select "Erase recycle bin".

But then, what it asks if I want to Erase is 2448 files and 22 folders. Are these files and folders some which have been deleted before but which I cannot see?
No,they are subfolders and sub sub folders and some files that should not be erased in that they are system files.

There are 3 small compressed files that look a bit like folders.
Do you have "Folder options"(its in the Control panel" configured to show hidden files and folders and extentions for known file types and Operating system files. It helps to know what file your dealing with, but it is dangerious in that you could bork your computer but good. I would like to know what file I am deleting, just in case it is a file that you down loaded and windows put it there for some reason. It could be a Trojan but you dont want to keep that. After you find out for sure, then you can delete it knowing that you don't need it.

Thanks. I had already seen the option to delete those files. However, I did not know about right-clicking the Recycle Bin and selecting Erase Recycle Bin. How useful! Thanks for telling me about that.

You were most helpful. Thanks again. :D

Back