Why Eraser?

Bendelmac

Directions

I am new to ERASER. I am over 65, and getting used to running a computer. I was told to download Eraser, which I did.
Where can one find SIMPLE instructions on how to run this program?
A lot of what I read, is hard to understand unless you're computer literate.
Appreciate any help you can give this Senior.

Re: Directions

Bendelmac said:
I am new to ERASER. I am over 65, and getting used to running a computer. I was told to download Eraser, which I did.
Where can one find SIMPLE instructions on how to run this program?
A lot of what I read, is hard to understand unless you're computer literate.
Appreciate any help you can give this Senior.

It depends on why you were told to download Eraser and why you think you might need it. Windows makes it easy for you to delete files that you don't want on your system, either through Add/Remove programs (which uninstalls programs you don't want anymore) or by just deleting files in Windows Explorer (pictures, text files, or other files you may have downloaded or created).

However, just using the "Delete" option for removing files doesn't really make the files disappear from your hard drive. It just makes that file's space available to be used by other files you wish to place on your computer's hard drive. People with knowledge and the proper technology and software can often recover files that are "Deleted".

Eraser is a program that makes it difficult to almost impossible for files to be retrieved if they are Erased by Eraser rather than just Deleted using the options in Windows.

The only reason a person would need to Erase a file is if there is some stuff they have on their computer that, if deleted but subsequently retrieved by somebody else, could compromise their security in some way. If that is not an issue with you, then you don't need to use Eraser.

If that is an issue, then post back if you still need help and haven't found it in the Help files or the other info provided on the Eraser site.

Regards,

jberaser

ANSWER TO jberaser

I was told to get Eraser to "really" erase files, and that it would improve the operation of my computer.
As I get a lot of emails, search all over, and download some stuff, I was told to use Eraser to "really" get rid of it all.
Would not erasing these items, help my computer to operate more efficiently?
Thanks for the reply. :?

Re: ANSWER TO jberaser

Bendelmac said:
I was told to get Eraser to "really" erase files, and that it would improve the operation of my computer.
As I get a lot of emails, search all over, and download some stuff, I was told to use Eraser to "really" get rid of it all.
Thanks for the reply. :?

In a word, no. It will not make your computer operate more efficiently, at least not noticeable to the human eye if at all. It only makes it difficult for others to be able to retrieve information from your hard drive that you thought was not retrievable when you used the Delete option in Windows to delete it.

And unless you have security concerns, completely erasing a file can sometimes work against you. There are times when people Delete something, then wish they hadn't. If it has been removed from their Recycle Bin then it's not that easy to get it back again, but software is available that can try and can often be successful if the file was only deleted and not overwritten. If you used Eraser on the file instead of deleting it, you'd never be able to get it back.

Regards,

jberaser

Hi Bendelmac :)

Just looking quickly through the posts on this thread I think CCleaner might be more suitable for you. I am only guessing though.

Download it here.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Also Spybot will help “improve the operation of your computer” slightly if you have spyware on it.

Download it here.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Also a good anti virus scan and a defrag would help !
:wink:

Thanks

Thanks to those that have helped me out on the Eraser issue.
I have no major privacy concerns etc and I do have a good anti-virus program.
Appreciate the help. :p

You’re welcome and I hope this isn’t your last visit to the Eraser forums !

Overwriter said:
You’re welcome and I hope this isn’t your last visit to the Eraser forums !

Actually, as he does not seem to be someone who has any need of Eraser, it likely should be his last visit :)

Regards,

jberaser

jberaser said:
Actually, as he does not seem to be someone who has any need of Eraser, it likely should be his last visit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was only being friendly with the guy !!! :lol:

Jeeezzz :roll:

Overwriter said:
jberaser said:
Actually, as he does not seem to be someone who has any need of Eraser, it likely should be his last visit

:D :D :D
I was only being friendly with the guy !!! :lol:

Jeeezzz :roll:

I figured you were, which is why I put a smiley at the end of my post :)

Regards,

jberaser

Back