WIN XP Home Need help on what to do with deleting PC memory

ohawfee157

Hello to all! I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask what to do after using DBAN on my WIN XP Home Edition. I used DBAN and did the dod command which took 5 and 1/2 hours to complete. I have researched how to use this and such. But I don't know what to do after as even if I have the recovery disk it doesn't work.

(Sony Vaio Recovery and Documentation Disc for the RS Series.)

I restarted my PC with the disk on, loads as a black screen and it says "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE. OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY"
Sorry for the caps.

I'm using a desktop computer.
It's a Sony Vaio
Version / Model : PCV-RS402
------------------PCV-2246

CPU: 2.80c GHZ Intel Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading
HDD: 120 GB (7200 rpm)

and to also add that I used the DBAN 2.2.6 Beta burned in a CD-R/DVD-R media.

I want to reinstall Win XP Home like when it was brand new and have a clean memory slate.

does anyone have any solutions or advice? please help if you can and thank you in advance.

=)

Re: WIN XP Home Need help on what to do with deleting PC mem

DBAN is designed to wipe everything, including the operating system, and that is what it did.

You should have either recovery or install disks; if not you may have to buy them from Sony. Use these to restore your machine to factory condition, and go from there. If you cannot get the recovery disks, try installing a normal, good copy of Windows XP Home (assuming you can, say, borrow an install disk from a friend), using the install key which should either be with your system documentation or on a label attached to the machine. Then download the machine drivers and other software that came with it from the Sony website. Ideally, have the drivers and software install files ready on a CD before you start the install process.

Once you have a basic install, I strongly recommend downloading and installing any XP Service packs you need, up to and including SP 3. Then run Windows Update to bring the OS up to date. With the OS updated and drivers in place, you can start installing ant software you want on the machine.

David

Back