Win764bit: context menu erase doesn't work (v6)

Blacktor

Hi

I've tried latest stable version and build r1700. With both versions when trying to erase anything via explorer context menu I get the following error message: "An error has occured: The requested operation requires elevation.". I'm always running Eraser as administrator. I've checked that there's no other instances of Eraser running without administrative priviledges. It just doesn't seem to work. Erasing with making a new task works just fine.

Also, is there supposed to be drag and drop feature? Dragging and dropping files to Eraser window does nothing for me.

What are you erasing? Which option are you using in the context menu to erase? What sorts of permissions that your local user account have? Which version of Windows are you using?

Yes, dropping files in the Scheduler will queue the files for erasure.

Joel said:
What are you erasing? Which option are you using in the context menu to erase? What sorts of permissions that your local user account have? Which version of Windows are you using?

I tried to erase several different type of files, text files, videos, installers etc. I used option "erase", not that other one "erase on restart" or whatever it was (I already unistalled v6 so I can't check right now). I'm using account with administrative priviledges. My system is running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

So I already unistalled v6 as it didn't work. Now I have v5.8.8 and it works beautifully. I can erase files using explorer context menu just fine. I can reinstall v6 if you have some ideas that would help solving this problem? Doesn't matter much to me as older version works fine.

Are you using Windows with UAC off?

When you say that you always run Eraser as an administrator, how are you achieving that? Did you set the compatibility settings in the file properties? Oh, by the way, you can't drag and drop because it's a Windows limitation (UAC feature) that you cannot do drag & drop from a process of a lower permission level to that of a higher permission level.

Joel said:
When you say that you always run Eraser as an administrator, how are you achieving that? Did you set the compatibility settings in the file properties? Oh, by the way, you can't drag and drop because it's a Windows limitation (UAC feature) that you cannot do drag & drop from a process of a lower permission level to that of a higher permission level.

After installing Eraser first I checked compatibility settings in properties. It was already checked properly as "run this program as an administrator". When I started Eraser, UAC correctly asked my permission to run as an administrator. No luck though, I always got that "requested operation requires elevation" error message when trying to use context menu. I also tried to run Eraser with right-clicking it and choosing "run as administrator". Didn't make any difference.

How about disabling the Run as Administrator option -- installs by default don't have that checked (I tested that myself)

Alright, that setting is the cause of the error. I'll fix it later today (doing some code review at the moment)

Okay this should be fixed in r1718.

Back