(Window 7) Report Errors

are7

Can you tell me are the type of reporting errors I'm receivng normal? I followed instructions, ran everything as administrator. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation that the process was successful so I'm not sure. Received a long list of 'information' notifications plus nine 'error' messages similar to those listed below.

Have tried searching the boards, didn't spot an obvious answer. I've no real technical knowledge so make allowances if my questions are old or real stupid - please.

Error C:\ did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Error C:\Boot did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Error C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Error C:\System Volume Information did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access to the path 'C:\System Volume Information' is denied.
Error The data area passed to a system call is too small. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007A)

The final error probably is not to be expected. This is a known bug which was fixed a while back. You can try the nightly builds (use the 6.0 branch) but upgrading to nightlies have risks too. I'm quite certain the problem will be resolved if you disable Erase Cluster Tips in the Add Data dialog box when you do the free space erasure.

Thanks. Followed your advice and that error doesn't appear now. Does disiabling it compromise the effectiveness of the whole process?

Am receiving another message which I should have listed first time: Error There is not enough space on the disk

Plus since the attempt to erase followed by message above, my hard drive now shows as full when it should only be at 50%, I guess this connected to the problem?

Delete the folder which contains a whole bunch of junk file names (and occcupies half your disk space)

While it does prevent cluster tips from being wiped, it may or may not be a security concern to you. It completely depends on you. You'll need to evaluate yourself and see if it's worth upgrading to a nightly build.

Should the error 'There is not enough space on the disk' still occur after upgrading to nightly build? I still receive same.

Which nightly build are you using?

Okay, that shouldn't occur. Could you PM me with an email address? I'll send out a new private build (which does error reporting) sometime this week and you could have a go.

I downloaded r1692 but every time try to run a task the status almost instantly changes to 'not completed'. Best to return to an earlier version or is it more likely there's something I haven't done correctly?

What does the Task Log say?

What's your operating system? Does installing r1700 solve it? I've had a few cases where nightly builds don't sign the default plugin.

Yes, r1692 has a defective unsigned DefaultPlugins.dll. r1700 should not have this problem.

Back