DBAN floppy boot failed

Bridget

I created the DBAN floppy according to the instructions; set my computer (Dell Dimension XPS T450/Windows98SE) to boot from floppy drive, which it does but DBAN does not load. Message shown is: "SYSLINUX 2.13 2004-12-14 Boot Failed".

I am not a computer whiz. I just want to nuke the hard drive before recycling my old system. Please help.

Thank you.

dajhorn

The floppy disk is likely bad. Use another new floppy disk, or try the CD-R version of DBAN instead.

Bridget

dajhorn said:
The floppy disk is likely bad. Use another new floppy disk, or try the CD-R version of DBAN instead.
I already tried a second floppy and got the same message. I don't understand CD-R - is that writing to a CD? Like I said, NOT a computer whiz.

Thank you.

dajhorn

I already tried a second floppy and got the same message.
A variety of factors can prevent the DBAN floppy disk from being properly created. Most often, a virus scanner interferes. Try creating the DBAN floppy disk on another computer.

I don't understand CD-R - is that writing to a CD?
Yes.

Bridget

A variety of factors can prevent the DBAN floppy disk from being properly created. Most often, a virus scanner interferes. Try creating the DBAN floppy disk on another computer.

I removed the firewall and antivirus software from the computer I am trying to nuke and then downloaded the file again to a new floppy but I still get the same message "boot failed". I can access the floppy and have read the troubleshoot file but find nothing in it that helps me figure out the problem. Please advise.

Thank you.