Eraser 5.86 RC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Since 5.85 was flawed, 5.86 doesn't have many major fixes:
  • Installing to wrong program files directory under x64
  • Recycle bin not appearing under x64
  • Right clicking the directory selection dialog would give an access violation
  • Erasing empty encrypted file results in end of file error
Unified x64/x86 setup: http://eraser.sourceforge.net/Eraser586_setup.exe

This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE, meaning there are bugs, but not major ones. It is significantly more stable than a beta should be, but not production quality yet.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Well everything seems to work for me XP Pro SP2. No problems ! :)

The right click function in the Eraser Verify window doesn’t crash now but it just gives me a list of greyed out options. Is that what is supposed to happen ?

The notes on the initial installer are out of date. I think it said something about 5.85 Beta3 or similar. The “About” screen says 5.86 nothing about RC1.

There still is no option to remove the extra dll pass.

As I said no real problems this stuff is just trivial.

Thanks.
:wink:

"Bug" the DLL pass thing so I remember...

Joel

"Information:
Statistics:

Erased area = 16 kB

Cluster tips = 14 kB

Data written = 112 kB

Write time = 2.84 s

Write speed = 39 kB/s

Failures:
Failed: D:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-3332538995-501713088-2162938685-1000\$RRQYZMJ\defaults.ers (Het systeem kan het opgegeven pad niet vinden.)
Failed: D:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-3332538995-501713088-2162938685-1000\$RUX1AIQ\default.ers (Het systeem kan het opgegeven pad niet vinden.)"

Het systeem kan het opgegeven pad niet vinden(The system cannot find the ..... path.)
Eraser v 5.86 RC1
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (dutch).

Works perfect on Windows XP SP2

Sorry for my bad English.

Installed 5.84 with no problem on XP Pro SP2 box. Uninstalled 5.84, rebooted to install 5.86 RC1 and get popouts that registry keys cannot be written with code 5. Aborted to reinstall 5.84

Thought I'd add 5.84 comments:

-Don't need all the right-click options in recycle bin; the old way is better (yes, I know the registry can be edited to get rid of the extras)
-Agree with others that recycle bin erase confirmation be made optional
-Secure Move right-click context menu shows two of the same; may be fixed in 5.86; not sure
-no matter what is selected for reports; reports always shows up after recycle bin erase; better if optional

Thanks for your time.

Update:

Installed 5.84 to get the error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Uninstalled, cleaned all registry entries and folders of Eraser and Heidi and rebooted to install 5.84 again. Same error. Unable to use 5.86 RC1 and now 5.84 which was running fine before installing 5.86 RC1. Will try to go back to 5.7 version.

Update 2: Cleaned up after 5.86 and 5.84 uninstall. Rebooted to install 5.7 and it runs without a hitch. I'll try the next final release of Eraser and hope it installs and runs. Until then, 5.7.

I would like to suggest that the 32-bit and 64-bit installations be kept separate and allowed to run side-by-side.

The reason is that some, like myself, run x64 but are stuck with 32-bit file managers (like Total Commander) and other applications. This of course would allow both 32 and 64-bit context menus to show Eraser menu items.

Thiggy said:
Installed 5.84 with no problem on XP Pro SP2 box. Uninstalled 5.84, rebooted to install 5.86 RC1 and get popouts that registry keys cannot be written with code 5. Aborted to reinstall 5.84

Thought I'd add 5.84 comments:

-Don't need all the right-click options in recycle bin; the old way is better (yes, I know the registry can be edited to get rid of the extras)
-Agree with others that recycle bin erase confirmation be made optional
-Secure Move right-click context menu shows two of the same; may be fixed in 5.86; not sure
-no matter what is selected for reports; reports always shows up after recycle bin erase; better if optional

Thanks for your time.

Update:

Installed 5.84 to get the error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Uninstalled, cleaned all registry entries and folders of Eraser and Heidi and rebooted to install 5.84 again. Same error. Unable to use 5.86 RC1 and now 5.84 which was running fine before installing 5.86 RC1. Will try to go back to 5.7 version.

Update 2: Cleaned up after 5.86 and 5.84 uninstall. Rebooted to install 5.7 and it runs without a hitch. I'll try the next final release of Eraser and hope it installs and runs. Until then, 5.7.
I won't comment about your comments, each of them has had threads all over the forum and discussions have been going on.

However for your install problems. Did you uninstall and reboot and get the registry errors on reboot or did you uninstall and reboot your computer before reinstalling 5.86?

You must uninstall 5.84, reboot THEN install 5.86. The installers are separate and will not detect old versions and may mess up the files/registry keys.

The initialization error is probably caused by a corrupt program file.

Joel

FlyingHorse said:
I would like to suggest that the 32-bit and 64-bit installations be kept separate and allowed to run side-by-side.

The reason is that some, like myself, run x64 but are stuck with 32-bit file managers (like Total Commander) and other applications. This of course would allow both 32 and 64-bit context menus to show Eraser menu items.
Hm. I can try to extend the installer such that 32 bit installs are optional on x64. The reason for a unified install is that people keep asking "which version should I get?". Garrett and I and probably Overwriter is fed up with answering the same thing over and over again. And people somehow don't read previous forum posts.

Joel

Joel said:
However for your install problems. Did you uninstall and reboot and get the registry errors on reboot or did you uninstall and reboot your computer before reinstalling 5.86?

You must uninstall 5.84, reboot THEN install 5.86. The installers are separate and will not detect old versions and may mess up the files/registry keys.

The initialization error is probably caused by a corrupt program file.

Joel

Yes, I uninstalled 5.7, rebooted and installed 5.84 which worked, uninstalled 5.84 and rebooted to install 5.86. 5.86 threw registry errors during the install attempt. 5.84 had worked fine before 5.86 install attempt. Cleaned all registry entries found, rebooted and tried 5.84 again; it installed but wouldn't run. Nothing worked other than going back to 5.7. I'm happy with 5.7 because I'm on XP Pro and will wait for the next final release to try again. Oh, the registry errors never occurred during boot, just during the attempt to install 5.86. 5.84 reinstall completed successfully, but wouldn't run; error at autorun startup. Thanks for responding.

I'll need the EXACT error message including the keys if any. It won't be fixed in the final version if you don't tell me what's wrong! If I don't get any good diagnostic things can't be fixed and status quo will be kept

Joel

Joel said:
I'll need the EXACT error message including the keys if any. It won't be fixed in the final version if you don't tell me what's wrong! If I don't get any good diagnostic things can't be fixed and status quo will be kept

Joel

I can give it another go and post errors received, if any. I'll be back in a bit as there are other pending To-Do items that have higher priorities. Give me a few days. Thanks

I'm happy to say that the 0 KB EFS encrypted files are now erased correctly.

So far nothing major with 5.86 RC1 on WinXP SP2. There is some sillyness going on in the erasing options menu though. If you click up and down the erasing options of the Files tab, the 'Cluster Tips Area' option randomly becomes enabled and disabled again, back and forth.

In the 'Unused Disk Space' tab it is the 'Directory Entries' option that changes.

Thank you for your input wraithdu !

I am able to replicate the bugs wraithdu has described XP Pro SP2.

Hi mr.brownstone.

Can I just double check what operating system you are using please because in your first post here you said you were using Vista 64bit.

This is not a criticism but we need to make sure exactly what people are using. You may have two operating systems for example.

Thank you for your help. :wink:

Overwriter said:
Hi mr.brownstone.

Can I just double check what operating system you are using please because in your first post here you said you were using Vista 64bit.

This is not a criticism but we need to make sure exactly what people are using. You may have two operating systems for example.

Thank you for your help. :wink:

yeah, i went back to 32 bit.
too much that still dont work on 64 bit, so i dont see the point of running it..yet:)

Quick quesiton. Which VC++ libraries exactly are required by 5.86 to run? I use Eraserl on my portable flash drive, and 5.86 is giving me an incorrect application configuration error. I'm assuming it's becuase I'm on a computer that probably doesn't have the VC++ runtimes.

I'm hoping I can just copy the required files into the application directory and all will be good. Right now I just have a directory with Eraserl.exe and Eraser.dll in it. This used to work up to 5.84.

Oh, and is there any way *PRETTY PLEASE* to stop Eraserl from writing the 'Heidi Computers Ltd' registry key everytime it is used? Either turn it off by default or include a commandline switch?

It's very annoying to have to check for and delete this key when using Eraser portably (see above post).

won't work any more. We use Visual C++ 2005 SP1, so the runtimes will need to be installed in the system assembly cache. You cannot use Eraser portably (it was never a supported configuration in the first place). I'll add this to the todo list and release a portable Eraser on SF with the proper DLLs.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back