Eraser and Windows 2000 SP4

SammeyDW

I think Eraser is at least partially incompatible with Windows 2000 SP4. I did not have trouble erasing with "data streams" checked in preferences or erasing the recycle bin via right-click until I installed Microsoft's SP4 patch . Ever sense, file erase ( right-click file - erase ) many times will give an error "Could not erase data stream - had more then one " if you are doing a multi-file erase it is a given that more than likely at least one of the files will produce this error. Also, Erase recycle bin has been "looping / getting stuck " on a file, forcing me to cancel. I declicked data-streams on the preferences and now file erase seems to be working, But I am still having problems with the Recycle bin erase, so I have stopped that in favor of free space which erases the free space used by the recycle bin as well as all the other free space.

I am useing Windows 2000 - SP4 , 128K Ram , 20G HardDrive - NTFS, Eraser 5.7

Hello.
First thank you for this useful freeware tool.

But I can, no, I must ;) confirm post above, for me it's even worser.
W2k Prof. SP4, Eraser v5.7 downloaded today.

When using context menu (right click) to erase a file, the hole explorer gets an hourglass and doesnt stop, so I have to restart, regardless of rightclicking a file or a folder.

Its clearly related to eraser v5.7, after uninstalling it, context menu worked fine again.

FYI

best regards

Turning off background entropy polling in General Preferences should do the trick.

Hi Gekko. I'm the second poster here.

Indeed i installed again and it works fine so far without your mentioned setting.
Cannot remember if i checked that at my first installation. Anyway, it works for instance. Will notice here if it doesnt in future.

Thanks for help.

Rgds

Back