IMPORTANT: ALL ERASER USERS - NEW VERSION PLANNED

Unicode

I feel that unicode support is of utmost importance to Eraser. Right now I am able to erase only files named in Latin. Any files named e.g. in Cyrillic can not be erased and this is really bugging me.

Sold13r said:
"FILE.EXE" becomes "xxxyyyzzz" i`ve noticed that erased files show as "xvfsre.kjh" as an example, keeping the 3 letter file extension.

That would be a pretty trivial change, but does it really matter that the deleted file has a random extension?

Re: Unicode

PogusMagnus said:
I feel that unicode support is of utmost importance to Eraser.

I believe that would require quite a bit of work in the library code, which currently says "Unicode is not supported". But I agree, it would be nice.

Also, if this board really has an admin, please change this topic to sticky. It contains some of the most useful discussion I have come across in this forum.

An option to securely erase an entire drive surface without loosing existing data would be nice... i.e. copy data from a cluster to an empty cluster, erase the first cluster, then copy the data back. I accidentally defragmented a drive containing sensitive files.... :\

The Ability to use wildcards in Scheduler

eg:

Instead of having to have multiple entries for the following

c:\documents and settings\user1\Local Settings\Temp
c:\documents and settings\user2\Local Settings\Temp
c:\documents and settings\user3\Local Settings\Temp

be able to do:

c:\documents and settings\*\Local Settings\Temp

The ability to use different wipe methods on each schedule entry.
eg:

c: 3 pass dod
d: 1 pass
e: gutmann
c:\temp - 3 pass
d:\temp - 7 pass

The ability to schedule wipes to be performed on a wider time base
eg:

1st of every month.
specific date in the future - 25th Feb 2005....

First off, I would like to thank the developers for creating a very useful and stable program. Excellent work!

My suggestions for a future release:

1.) Doing a full erase of all the unused areas on a disk is very time consuming. It takes me hours to do a full wipe of an 80GB disk with the DOD 7-pass setting. I would like to suggest that Eraser keep track of which sectors have been erased in a previous disk-wiping session and remain unused since that session. This would speed up the process of subsequent full disk wipes, because these previous sectors wouldn't need to be wiped again.

2.) I think that it would be more intuitive if the erasing options (Gutmann, DOD, Pseudorandom, cluster tips, etc.) could be specified for each individual task in the task list, instead of the way they are currently specified.

3.) It would be helpful to be able to pause the erasing, currently there is only a stop button.

4.) It would be nice to be able to minimize the program window during an erasing session.

Thanks again, and good luck with the next release.

a 'just write zeros' wipe method

I occasionally make a dd/bzip backup of drives (using dd if=/dev/hda | bzip2 -vv > /mnt/hdb1/hdabackup.bz2 off a Linux boot cd such as Knoppix) but I first zero out free space with
dd if=/dev/zero of=/zerofreespace.dd
sync
rm /zerofreespace.dd

on each partition and then I wipe the swap partition with

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda8
sync
mkswap /dev/hda8

It allows me to backup an entire HD in a small filesize.

I would like to do this on some Windows XP/2k NTFS boxes but I am uneasy using the 'captive' NTFS write drivers under Linux on someone elses drive in case of problems so I would like a quick 'write zeros only' on the freespace under windows, set the swap to clear on shutdown and boot into Knoppix, dd/bzip2 to my attached drive and burn the backup to cd/dvd.

I know you can make your own wipe algorithm but I just installed this and don't know how yet. It would be nice to include it by default.

One of the methods already available may leave the drive with a single byte or highly compressable repeating pattern but I could not decern that from documentation. It may also take multiple passes (meaning more time). The documentation for Pseudorandom seemed to possibly do this.

Can you add this function or FAQ it if it already exists.

Mr Moor

Catch DEL key

It'd be great if I could press DEL and have ERASER do the job instead of the OS.

One thing I always thought would be useful is to have a erase on reboot. Sometimes I get folders that get locked, because xp thinks its in use or something and it takes a restart to remove them. Having this feature would be nice so I wouldnt have to search for any folders that didnt get deleted.

Yea and pressing delete to erase would be cool.

Anonymous said:
One thing I always thought would be useful is to have a erase on reboot. Sometimes I get folders that get locked, because xp thinks its in use or something and it takes a restart to remove them. Having this feature would be nice so I wouldnt have to search for any folders that didnt get deleted.

this is already part of the scheduler.

The abiltiy to right click on a file or directory in Windows Explorer and "add to scheduler"

The fixing of the bug concerning the right-click options that causes the desktop freezing ( I can't remember the name of this special options and as i'm currently erasing I can't watch for it :p). It should be something like "random..."

It'd be great if I could press DEL and have ERASER do the job instead of the OS.

This would be the great, but as somebody else sayed: In the Dreamworld?

- I'd like to be able to sort the scheduled list so they erase in the order they listed.

- A quicker way to select passes instead of clicking options button then ok button when using explorer right click on file/dir. quick select radio buttons possibly?

- Would like the Scheduler window to stay put with columns width intact the next time I open them.

- Temporarily bypass the HD's write cache if possible?.

- NTFS MFT area for the file or dir erasing... (excuse me if it already does this)

- a way to lift files into memory then wipe the space underneath.

continued from ^

- ability to wipe .lnk and .url shortcut files from right clicking.

- fix eraserd.exe to do long filenames:
eraserd.exe -file "this long filename dont erase.txt" - passes 35

Anon said:
ability to wipe .lnk and .url shortcut files from right clicking.
This has nothing to do with Eraser, Windows simply resolves shortcuts before passing the information to the shell extension. Therefore, the shell extension doesn't know which .lnk file the user wanted to erase, it only sees the name of the actual file pointed to by the shortcut.

fix eraserd.exe to do long filenames
Eraserd is a DOS program designed to work with old systems, thus it will probably never be able to handle long filenames. If you wish to erase files from command line in Windows, use "eraserl.exe" instead!

suggestion

I'd like to be able to swap items easily between the scheduler window and the on-demand window. The file that contains the information is not even human readable. I'ts a pain when i have to enter informatin twice.

wickerman

I would really like to see a live CD version where it does not touch the windows in any way.....not sure if this is possible. On the same note if the Live CD does not work then a way to install eraser and then uninstall it without leaving ANY trace that it was on the hard drive and used.

Also, an option to be able to specify a file name and erase all evidence that that file was ever there.

Thanks for all the effort comrades

Back