Portable for 5.84?

Hi Overwriter! :D ....Im back 8)

The 5.84 portable you posted seems to be perfect!!!

You had me use 5.82 portable a week ago (for testing on vista 64) and that would always install a small folder on my machine. The 5.84 portable seems to just run from my thumb drive! and does not create a folder! :D

I still am not sure why the 5.84 full install for Vista 64bit will always error when opening (eraser.dll not found) {for me anyways}, but the portable 5.84 works like a champ. I guess I kind of like that it isnt installed because of all the recycle bin erase options. :shock:

As of now I am perfectly happy with JUST the 5.84 portable!

Thanks again Overwriter
Keep up the good work!

Hi Blewby :D

Nice to have you back ! :lol:

I still don’t understand why you are having installation problems so I guess you just need to keep checking for new versions here. I am glad you like the portable version though and I agree it is great to be able to run software from a flash drive !

Thanks for posting back here to let me know how you got on. I hope you will continue to visit the Eraser forums. :wink:

Blewby said:
Hi Overwriter! :D ....Im back 8)

The 5.84 portable you posted seems to be perfect!!!

You had me use 5.82 portable a week ago (for testing on vista 64) and that would always install a small folder on my machine. The 5.84 portable seems to just run from my thumb drive! and does not create a folder! :D

I still am not sure why the 5.84 full install for Vista 64bit will always error when opening (eraser.dll not found) {for me anyways}, but the portable 5.84 works like a champ. I guess I kind of like that it isnt installed because of all the recycle bin erase options. :shock:

As of now I am perfectly happy with JUST the 5.84 portable!

Thanks again Overwriter
Keep up the good work!

Do you have a link for the 5.84 portable?

windstrings said:
Do you have a link for the 5.84 portable?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Just scroll up a couple of posts on this thread ! :roll:

:wink:

Hey... good job!... It works!!!!

Sorry I didn't see it... its been a crazy few days here at work... I've just been jumping in long enough to respond to posts without spending any real time... sorry.......

Now the only thing cooler would be to have a program that can go to a drive or directory and find or in essence "undelete" all the files that have been deleted and scramble them too!.....

I believe "restoration" does that, but it opens, but won't run on a machine without administration rights.....

Deleting everything thats in a directory is good, but deleting everything that "used" to be there too is better!

windstrings said:
Deleting everything thats in a directory is good, but deleting everything that "used" to be there too is better!

Isn’t that what a free space wipe does ?

Maybe I never understood how this program really works.... I always thought of a free space wipe as choosing a drive and it wipes all the nooks and crannys that used to have files that still have remnants.....

I guess I never realized you could pick one directory and it will only attack that directory for unused space!........

But now that you mention it, that does appear what it must be able to do.... I guess I just haven't played with this program enough... Its kinda hard when your dealing with invisible files!....LOL!...

Maybe it would be less confusing if it allowed you to first "see" the deleted files and then you would see when their gone... similar to how "undelete" programs do it.

windstrings said:
I always thought of a free space wipe as choosing a drive and it wipes all the nooks and crannys that used to have files

That’s right. :)

windstrings said:
I guess I never realized you could pick one directory and it will only attack that directory for unused space!........

Do you mean a folder here ? If so, a file in a folder could be anywhere on a hard drive. Windows only makes it appear to be in the same folder (area) to the user. Performing a full free space wipe will get everything.

If (as I suspect) you are trying to talk about selectively overwriting previously deleted files then that is different. This is more the area of Hex editors and programs like Restore. As we discussed before this could be called “Intelligent Overwriting” and could be a valuable aid to plausible deniability.

You do know that if you erase a file that has not been deleted you don’t have to worry about it don’t you ?

Eraser could have a viewer so the user could either use it to confirm a selected file has been successfully overwritten or to select a previously deleted file for overwriting. There is a version (hacked and not official) going around that allows the user to view the file after it has been overwritten, so a modification of this kind could be done.

Windstrings you may be better off using a Hex editor for now as I think the modification to the Eraser code would take quite some time. It would be a good feature though.

Also I have got to ask, why the nick “windstrings” ? :lol:

I copied a file to a temp directory and then deleted that file the normal way with windows.. .then when I went to that directory with eraser and told it to erase everything "in" that directory, I got an error saying there was nothing to erase.....

so apparently it only erases files that have not been erased before.. I cannot find nor will erase already deleted files that I can tell.

Windstrings said:
I copied a file to a temp directory and then deleted that file the normal way with windows.. .then when I went to that directory with eraser and told it to erase everything "in" that directory, I got an error saying there was nothing to erase.....

What were you expecting to happen ? :?

Windstrings said:
so apparently it only erases files that have not been erased before.. I cannot find nor will erase already deleted files that I can tell.

:shock: Do you read my posts ? :?

Sorry Overwrighter.. I guess not well enough, I"ve been bouncing in and out so much I didn't remember what you said verses what others have commented on. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think I must have been thinking about that "hacked" version you spoke of where you can see what has been deleted!... I wonder how that works?

But did I gather that it was basically the "eraser.dll" file that did the majic?
Putting it in the same directory "on the thumbdrive" that the rest of the files were in caused it to work?

If so, I'm a bit confused about the other two files that also went to system 32 directory.... are you saying those automatically go there when pointing the install to a thumbdrive?.... if so, you wouldn't be able to take your thumbdrive to another computer and use "eraser.exe" because it had never been installed there before and so the other two files would be missing from system32.... right?

Which means its not truly portable.... at least not until its been installed on a given machine.

If we can learn exactly which files need to be in system32 "if any" then we can insure that we maintain portable usability... except that on machines where you do not have admin access, you may not be able to manually copy those files to system32.

windstrings said:
But did I gather that it was basically the "eraser.dll" file that did the majic?

Yes it was.

windstrings said:
Putting it in the same directory "on the thumbdrive" that the rest of the files were in caused it to work?

Yes

windstrings said:
If so, I'm a bit confused about the other two files that also went to system 32 directory.... are you saying those automatically go there when pointing the install to a thumbdrive?....

They shouldn’t, the installer has a bug, that’s what I had to work out for you before.

windstrings said:
if so, you wouldn't be able to take your thumbdrive to another computer and use "eraser.exe" because it had never been installed there before and so the other two files would be missing from system32.... right?

The version I sent you will work on any computer.

Uninstall Eraser from your computer make sure that eraser.dll and any other Eraser files have gone from system32. Then try to run the portable version I sent you. You should see that it works meaning that you can take that portable version to any computer and it will work.
:wink:

Thanks for all your help... your portable version seems to work perfect...

I was wondering if I could merely use the eraser.dll from this program and save it to put with the next version if I have this same problem again...

I wonder if that particular file gets updated very often or if its pretty stable and stays the same?

Thanks for all your help... your portable version seems to work perfect...

You’re welcome. :)

I was wondering if I could merely use the eraser.dll from this program and save it to put with the next version if I have this same problem again...

Possibly, but I think the installer will be fixed for the next version.

Humm.. I just tried to erase a file and it will only do the default 35 pass routine?..... even though I check another it only runs the default.

This happens whether I put the files to erase in before I set the settings or after.

I thought I read the 5.84 version does the one pass by default now?

I will download the regular portable again and see if it works the same.

OK, I downloaded the 5.82 R2 portable and it works perfect for erasing files.

They both default to one pass for unused disk space, but the one you gave me will only run 35 pass for erasing files themselves.

I noticed the file structure is quite different than what you gave me too.

The portable version has a Data directory with a sub of "settings" with eraser.reg inside, the other directories are quite different too..

I don't mind using the older version...

here is a link to the portable version if you want to play with it.

It does seem they are two different animals.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/eraser_portable

Hi windstrings,

:( I am sorry to hear you are still having problems. Mine still works fine so I don’t know how to help you. Perhaps the 5.82 will be ok for you for now until things get fixed ?

Back