Eraser crashed

NotARobot

I hope this forum is being moderated although it looks like it is mostly spam posts...

I ran Eraser on a scheduled task to erase unused space on my HDD. When I came back a dialog box was open saying that eraser had stopped working and needed to be closed. My HDD had no free space but I knew from other posts that there was most likely a directory with a random name and inside it would be random files. I deleted it and all my disk space was back. So far I have not seen any errors on the drive itself. I assume eraser finished but just failed to delete the directory but I am not 100% sure.

Here is the event viewer logs for the errors if that will help:
Application: Eraser.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(Byte[], Int32, Int32)
at Eraser.DefaultPlugins.WindowsFileSystem.DeleteFileWithPlausibleDeniability(System.IO.FileInfo)
at Eraser.DefaultPlugins.WindowsFileSystem.DeleteFolder(System.IO.DirectoryInfo, Boolean)
at Eraser.DefaultPlugins.UnusedSpaceErasureTarget.Execute()
at Eraser.Manager.Task.Execute()
at Eraser.Manager.DirectExecutor.Main()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

----------------------------------------------------
Faulting application name: Eraser.exe, version: 6.2.0.2982, time stamp: 0x5a4d5c7b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0x4736733c
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000013fb8
Faulting process id: 0x5e10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d39fb20b29894a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: add3d9a6-e9b8-4c6b-9877-4aaddbec1879
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
----------------------------------------------
That is all the text of the errors.

It ran successfully this evening so maybe it was a fluke. The only difference is that I had the eraser window visible so I could see if there was any status if it crashed again.

There could be a system file corruption on your computer. So if it happens again try performing a SFC scan and check if the issue persist.

Method 1: System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:
1. Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
2. In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
3. Restart the computer.
Method 2: You can try re-registering kernelbase.dll and check.
1. Press Windows Key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
2. Type regsvr32 KERNELBASE.dll and hit Enter.
3. Restart your computer and check
Method 3: Direct download kernelbase.dll
1. Go to this page
2. Download file according to your system
3. Put it in system folder

Back